• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3dhs 92" edge 540 !!!

Yowzilla

50cc
I had to read your process a few times but think I have it. The part that took me a second to get was, you are putting the modified 4-40 threaded rod into the wing tip hole where the blind nut should be. With the string from wing tip hole to root of wing, you can simply place the blind nut onto the 4-40 threaded rod you made and simply pull it into place...good stuff.

Thanks!!!

You got it. Sorry I typed that very quickly last night before I had to go to bed. 0335 wake up.

@lovesxtra wants to make a kit to do this with a pre made modified bolt (he is a gunsmith with the tools to do this). I told him the easiest would be a bolt with a hole through the center of the bolt so the line (probably fishing line) would be easier to get trough the wing tip at the end.

He said to solve this issue with the setup I described is to make a knot that forms a U so the bolt hangs centered. I reminded him that not all of us know how to make fishing knots. I grew up building my own computers and working with A/V equipment. I missed the whole hunting and fishing thing.

Yowzilla

50cc
You beat me on wake up. I had to be up at 0415 for week of travel. Cutting a ring around a headless bolt is simple enough for my dremil skill set. I will skip the fancy knots.

Bivens

50cc
I've also pulled them up into a LONG wing....119......take a couple of long pieces of music wire and a small length of brass tube that just sleeves the music wire......use the tube to join the wires into one LONG wire...thin CA and kicker...or silver solder to join if you want to...I did CA......you can also tape them together with thin tape...but this can be frustrating if they come apart mid-game......

Feed the LONG wire from the wingtip to the root....put the blind nut on it...then a wheel collar tightened down....pull the nut into place snugly......then use the same vaseline and CA trick to set the blind nut permanently in the wingtip.....followed by cleaning the threads with the proper tap if necessary after gluing.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
Nicola Visentin of Italy flying my 92" 3DHS Edge at Joe Nall

[video=youtube;2zRlf_a3gQg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zRlf_a3gQg[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Sad day! [MENTION=335]SupaTim[/MENTION] sent me this picture of his 92" Edge after some serious speed on a downline! Here's what he said on facebook about it as well.

"It's the end of an era. Wide open throttle down line + fresh spring tune + speed prop = peeling the wings off hard and fast..."
10860141_373273069513716_1773529731_n.jpg
Before!

11009137_975176575828775_3646781989238785673_n.jpg
After!!! :-(

I hope SantaTim doesn't find out!

SnowDog

Sad day! @SupaTim sent me this picture of his 92" Edge after some serious speed on a downline! Here's what he said on facebook about it as well.

"It's the end of an era. Wide open throttle down line + fresh spring tune + speed prop = peeling the wings off hard and fast..."
View attachment 33469
Before!

View attachment 33470
After!!! :-(

I hope SantaTim doesn't find out!

So did he really rip the wing off in flight? @SupaTim are you saying the wing failed in a full speed downline?
I thought a 3DHS airframe couldn't fail like that?

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Yep ripped it right off! He said it took around 15 seconds for the wing to fall from the sky. Sad