• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 87" Extra 300 SHP

gyro

GSN Contributor
So would the DLE 55 be enough power at 5300'?

That's a very subjective question.... Power is relative to the person's personal taste.

Over all the vendors out there, I think only one vendor offers a 50cc plane in the under 16lb category... The lighter the plane, the better the power to weight ratio.

ryan_m

100cc
Mine was 18.5 dry. That was with 2 2s1800 li-fe batteries, eme60, tech-aero ibec, and 7955's. Was actually Gyro's old plane :)

You are talking to the wrong crowd about power being enough. To bad they don't make turbo chargers for rc airplanes. That is what is used in full scale for altitude.

ryan_m

100cc
No, that bent prop shaft on the EME60 shook the plane half to death. Every 3 flights I had to repair something. Once I got the prop shaft replaced I replaced the left stab (servo would constantly vibrate loose), and it still kept vibrating loose. It was either replace the whole motor, or sell the plane. In the end I got offered what I had in it from a local guy and I sold it. I sure do love the way it flew though... if they update the current scheme on the 87's to the new scheme it would be awfully tempting.

I'm very curious what the future holds for 3dhs though. With Scott Stoops leaving a while back, then AJ, and now with Joe Smith leaving it seems like their top talent is gone. That and the way customer service has been the last couple years.

gyro

GSN Contributor
No, that bent prop shaft on the EME60 shook the plane half to death. Every 3 flights I had to repair something. Once I got the prop shaft replaced I replaced the left stab (servo would constantly vibrate loose), and it still kept vibrating loose. It was either replace the whole motor, or sell the plane. In the end I got offered what I had in it from a local guy and I sold it. I sure do love the way it flew though... if they update the current scheme on the 87's to the new scheme it would be awfully tempting.

I'm very curious what the future holds for 3dhs though. With Scott Stoops leaving a while back, then AJ, and now with Joe Smith leaving it seems like their top talent is gone. That and the way customer service has been the last couple years.

I agree with your observations, that company is definitely going through high turnover with nothing but many young kids joining their team. Be interesting to watch what happens :popcorn:

For a weight comparison, my RedwingRC 89" Extra 330sc weighs 16.75 dry :)