• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 71" Slick (gas) with OS GT33

SnowDog

Well, now that I have a moment to reorganize, I figured I better update this build log. I brought the plane (not ready to fly) to Cape G. and was able to get 'er done at the field, with some wisdom from PB about my one remaining conundrum: where to mount the switch. PB looked at the setup and suggested that I mount the switch inside the fuse...after considering it for a few moments I realized this was a good idea. Sure, I'd have to take the canopy off to switch on/off and to refuel, but that was no big deal and it sure made it a heck of a lot easier to mount the switch. If I ever get different switches for this plane, I'll get two individual switches and a fuel dot instead of a combined two switch/fuel dot component. Reason? it is easier to mount two smaller switches and a fuel dot to the exterior of the fuselage. You will notice from some of the pictures that I built a battery tray out of lite ply and secured it over the top of the pull pull rudder area.

Anyway, here are the last pics taken before the maiden:

DSCF0048.jpg DSCF0045.jpg DSCF0047.jpg DSCF0046.jpg
DSCF0043.jpg DSCF0044.jpg
DSCF0050.jpg DSCF0049.jpg

As far as the maiden flight went, it was great! Just like you'd hope a maiden would go...no deadsticks, decent throttle curve/response, very gentle characteristics on low rates. CG appears to be a very small touch tail heavy...rolling inverted did not cause any nose drop, and perhaps the tail lifted a hair. Like I said, just a touch tail heavy I think. Since both batteries are in the rear, I think I'll move the ignition battery forward of the wing tube and try that arrangement. Should be just about the right amount of weight shift in the CG.

I'm really liking the Solar servos so far (two flights) and I'll report more on them as time progresses.

The OS GT 33 started right up (backwards of course) but the opto-kill, bump the throttle up a notch or two, then restart allowed it to start correctly. This issue is something to be aware of, especially for the holder, but not a big deal. The motor, which already had two gallons run through it, ran flawlessly and idles reliably. No hint of a dead stick, and landing was uneventful. I really like the sound of this motor.

I'll keep posting more in this thread, but I'm happy to report that the maiden went very well!

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

looks pretty awesome Snowdog. I want one.

think the slick with the same setup as yours would be good as a first gasser? was thinking something bigger but i could get a 71 in the air alot faster

SnowDog

looks pretty awesome Snowdog. I want one.

think the slick with the same setup as yours would be good as a first gasser? was thinking something bigger but i could get a 71 in the air alot faster

yes, I think the 30cc size range is a very good first gasser setup. As you said, money wise this size is easier to fund.

and you can't go wrong with a Slick, if you can find one!

thanks for the compliments; I'm going to put some decals on it today and hope to fly again tomorrow, maybe I'll even be able to get some flight videos. I'll at least have pics of the fully completed model including cowl and canopy...if I have to I will hold the plane in the air and take a pic myself ;)

There are a few used DLE-30's for sale right now that would reduce your startup cost even further, and those engines are very good.
If I wouldn't have gone through the Mintor debacle, I might have put a DLE-35RA on this airframe, which is another option you might consider.

Airframe: $440 plus shipping; available late July; pre-orders open now; dont delay if you want one; these usually sell out before they arrive!
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/71-AJ-Slick--Red_p_16310.html

Engine: DLE-35RA $350 http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/dle-35ra-gas-engine.html

Servos: Add (4) Hitec HS-7985MG Digital Servos with all Extensions [+$289.99]
or: Solor D771's: http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d771.html

Of course you need a battery for power, RX, opto-kill, servo arms, extensions, etc.

Rough cost to get in the air: $1200-$1500 depending on product choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Had a great time flying this plane yesterday. Did my first tail touches with it. Really getting comfortable with the flight envelope and flying low with it. My buddy Bruce snapped some pics and I should be getting those from him soon, I hope they turned out good! Will post them upon receipt.