• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

ryan_m

100cc
I know someone with a red/white/blue EF 88" Extra for sale... If you can figure a way to get it from Arkansas to wherever you are you can have it at a great price. DLE-55 in it, HS 7955's all around I think.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I know someone with a red/white/blue EF 88" Extra for sale... If you can figure a way to get it from Arkansas to wherever you are you can have it at a great price. DLE-55 in it, HS 7955's all around I think.

How much?

ryan_m

100cc
1100 including all but rx. Has 2 li-fe flight batts that are less than a year old. Has some nice vinyl on the wings too.
Price may be a bit negotiable, not sure. He bought it from me at that price when I sold it to get your 87" SHP :)

HELP!

Ok guys, we maidened the 70 Velox today and it was kind of a good news, bad news thing.

Setup is with a Graupner MZ24 radio, Hobbywing 100A Platinum V3 ESC, Kingmax servos, 19x8 Xoar prop, and Hacker A50 14S V3 motor with the servos in the tail to balance it out instead of using the pull pull setup.

First the good news. 70velox_caleb.JPG70velox.JPG

My 8 year old son Caleb did the maiden and he got it up in the air and after 3 clicks of down elevator, everything was flying perfect. We were pleased with the power, flew very neutral upright and needed only a tiny hint of elevator to keep it in the air inverted in both high speed and low speed maneuvers. Was very stable and we were all happy.

I put in the second battery and turned him loose on high rates and he put it to it. When it came down I checked the battery and we got almost exactly 6 min out of it leaving 20% in a 6s 5000. I noticed the motor was pretty hot so I let it cool for a minute and then we put in the third battery.

Well, about 2 min into the third flight we started seeing smoke and he started loosing power. Thankfully, he was doing some slow maneuvers close to the ground because by the time he got it down he almost had no power at all. I ran over to the plane wondering if a battery had gone crazy or something, but it was the motor that was letting out the "magic smoke". The prop nut was so hot that it would burn you instantly on contact.

So - what in the world is going on? Everything seems to match up as far as components go. I am going to call aero-models when they open to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks!
Shannon

njswede

150cc
You're running WAY too much prop for that motor. According to the Hacker site, it's designed for a 16x8-16x10 propeller and you're running a 19x8. Also, the motor is too weak for that plane. It's rated for 1250W. A plane that size needs around 2000W-2500W to fly well.

3dhs recommends the Hacker A50-16S with an 18x10 so I didn't think the wattage would be that far off, even though my motor is a 425kv vs the recommended 365kv with the 18x10.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Shannon, hacker motors tend to run slightly on the warm side anyway, so pushing more watts through one than designed is almost guaranteeing trouble... Sorry :(

My recommendation: when using a motor/prop combo different than what is advertised on the vendor website, it is a MUST to test it out with a watt meter first and verify you aren't exceeding the design limits.

I'm not a heli guy, but I'd ask this anecdotally: if you change from the manufacturer recommended 21T pinion to a 22T pinion on a motor, could you overheat it?

Good luck getting your Velox fixed and flying again soon, it's an amazing plane!