• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

ryan_m

100cc
I've got a 4325-425 on my Velox. 6s5300 packs, 18x10 xoar prop when I want high energy, 19x8 for more low/slow 3d. Really nice setup, and lighter than the 8s ones too. Lots of power.

nsg

30cc
Well, the point of an 8s setup is to use a lighter motor/ESC. My Velox is close to 7lb AUW. It will probably gain an ounce or two now that I need to replace that Scorpion, but it will still be well under 8lb. A 4325 on Velox only makes sense when you are using 6s - need a large motor to handle that much current.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
Well, the point of an 8s setup is to use a lighter motor/ESC. My Velox is close to 7lb AUW. It will probably gain an ounce or two now that I need to replace that Scorpion, but it will still be well under 8lb. A 4325 on Velox only makes sense when you are using 6s - need a large motor to handle that much current.

close to 7lbs....wow. i wish i could get my velox that light. what battery are you using?

nsg

30cc
Glacier 2x4s3300mah. It's more than the battery, though. The motor is a few ounces less, the ESC, ICE-75, is lighter than the usual typical ICE-100, no pants, a light Rx battery in lieu of a BEC + wiring, etc.

It's an older 68" Velox, though, AFAIK 70" airframe weights a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:

nsg

30cc
Update on my Velox..

I ended up with a Hyperion ZS-4025-16, AllERC had it on sale for something like $70 shipped. Electrically, it seems to be very close to my old Scorpion 4025-16, maybe slightly less efficient. Mechanically, there is a difference. the back of the can is supported by a large bearing, similar to Hacker A50 motors. That costs about 50g, however it should make it foolproof for 3D, so well worth th extra weight. The only issue is that a collet adapter needs to be used - no provision for a bolt-on adapter. The box had the motor, a set of 4mm bullets, X mount, collet adapter - the usual. It also had two sets of M4 bolts for the firewall and a set of blind nuts, a nice touch.

At a regular price, MotrolFly 4220 is probably a better option. Between about $50 less and not having to redrill the firewall, I think I did ok.

I am getting my old 4325-310 back. I am getting it rewound. I see people using different winds for 6s. 380, 400, or 425?

hosam

70cc twin V2
Velox with DLE30 ready for Maiden tomorrow...

Attachments

• IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 214

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
got a bunch of flights on the velox today. really starting to jive with it. low and slow harriers are soooo rock solid. rollers are fun too

ryan_m

100cc
I'm truly amazed that this plane doesn't have more followers and popularity... it's one of my favorites. I wish I could get a 50cc version of it, would buy that in a heartbeat. It seems like the few that have it love it, but overall the thread(s) on the plane aren't as popular, and there isn't nearly the buzz about this plane that there is for a Slick or Extra or Edge. This thing does amazing pop tops, super nice harriers, really nice and vertical elevators, tight waterfalls, it's just a 3d machine!