• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 59" AJ Slick

I went ahead and pre-ordered one. I think I'm going with this power setup. I've heard nothing but good things about this plane on 6S. My only question is, stick with 2650mAh for weight, or go 3300mAh, and have a setup that's tailor made to swap right into a future 60" EF. This seems to be the perfect size for EP.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I went ahead and pre-ordered one. I think I'm going with this power setup. I've heard nothing but good things about this plane on 6S. My only question is, stick with 2650mAh for weight, or go 3300mAh, and have a setup that's tailor made to swap right into a future 60" EF. This seems to be the perfect size for EP.

When I sold my 59 slick (didn't care much for it's 3D ability, I felt it was more suited for pattern) I moved all my gear into an EF 60 extra.... So I'd say definitely get the 3300. Shoot, I used 3300 in the 58 edge when I was flying one.

I think you are correct on the 6S power being perfect for the EF 60" size. I had my 59" setup with a Motrolfly 4315-714 on 4S. It had plenty of power for me, in fact I can't imagine it on 6S. I am now running that 4S setup on my EF 60" Edge 540T. It is a bigger plane than the 59 (the fuse is noticeably larger) and it is a little heavier, I can definitely feel the difference. It still has enough powder for me but not "insane power" by any means. The 60 will hover at half throttle with a 15x8, pullout is a little slow though. I've thought about trying a 16x8 but I'm already at 78 amps static on an ice lite 100 with the 15x8.

Gyro, it seems like I didn't do my research on this plane... I thought it was a perfect transition between the 51" and 71", but that's apparently not the whole story here. I've moved from the 48" EF Edge to Extra, and I think I like a plane with a subtle inclination toward IMAC/precision. That is, if I may be so bold as to reiterate the feedback and opinions of those much more capable than myself. Speaking of which, I forgot to give Cwojcik credit above for his valuable advice on these planes. Thanks.
PlaneCraz3d, never heard of 4S on the EFs in this size range. Good to know it's pulling your plane around well. I read over on the other forum site that Ken will rewind your motors for a nominal fee if you want to transition to a different power system.
Thanks for the good news, Moose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Drew, I did some digging over on the Edge thread on RCG when I was looking at setups and there were a few who had tried this setup with moderate success. I did look into getting my Motrolfly rewound, even spoke with Ken about it, but that was going to leave me with 4 Gens Ace packs and no way to use them, so I decided to do this. When I use up these packs I may still do the rewind. I loved my Slick though, just wanted something new. I still have and have thought about selling it. It would make someone a great plane as it is a built ARF with no electronics, one spare fuse (from the wingtube back) with good horizontal stab elevator and rudder, two new wings that have never been out of the wing bags including the wingtube (except for initial inspection), a spare set of gear, and a new set of wheel pants. Currently the only damage on it is a crack in the canopy.

Dave306

New to GSN!
Great write up! I love the look of the 59" Orange Slick. I might have to pick one up as a backup plane when 3DHS Australia gets them back in stock.