• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 58" Edge 540

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Tried to PM Noll. I sent an email to 3DHS with pictures as well, but was told there was nothing they could do.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Tried to PM Noll. I sent an email to 3DHS with pictures as well, but was told there was nothing they could do.

I'm sorry to hear that Mark... I'm sure your very bummed. Will you try to repair her?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Yes. The pictures tell the story, really. The wing tube broke in the middle; folded up like a swan, then down it came.

Something is not processing with me as the wings folded forward not backwards and the kink in the center tube is back. The fuselage sides are the attachment point and thus the pivot point for stress and the wind resistance will be pushing back on the wings not forward. Looks to me more like a slow speed straight nose in impact. The fuselage stops abruptly and the energy of the wings keep moving forward until they meet the ground as well which is just about level with the spinner.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Something is not processing with me as the wings folded forward not backwards and the kink in the center tube is back. The fuselage sides are the attachment point and thus the pivot point for stress and the wind resistance will be pushing back on the wings not forward. Looks to me more like a slow speed straight nose in impact. The fuselage stops abruptly and the energy of the wings keep moving forward until they meet the ground as well which is just about level with the spinner.

The interior fuse damage does look a lot like some nose first impacts I've had... but obviously the plane didn't float down on a parachute, so it must have impacted the ground in some fashion, probably nose first. I'm still trying to envision how the wing tube could break like that in flight. I've honestly never heard of it happening.

-G

quadracer

100cc
If you look closely at the end of the sleeve for the wing tube, the angle (where it is cut to match the fuse's angle) looks to me like it is rotated around backward, which likely happened after impact, which means the break wasn't pointing rearward, but toward the front.

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
I can't tell you guys where the initial failure point was- I can only state it was clearly the wing tube. I agree with some of the assumptions about the wing placement after the impact. I don't remember adding power to try to shallow/slow the descent, but the plane clearly had forward momentum, as the landing gear mount ripped out and rotated backwards. I think the CF landing gear itself is actually ok. In short, this all happened pretty quicky, and though there might have been some generally nose low component, I recall it falling pretty horizontally until impact. The actual impact does support a nose-first hit. You can see I had elevator in all the way to 'touchdown'. In fact the elevator servo stripped/locked when it hit. I think the wings falling forward are just a function of the wing tube looking like a 'v' in the descent (when the wings folded), then they needed to fall in one direction or another upon impact- maybe since the plane did hit nose first, the tube/sleeve just rotated backwards because the mass of the wings had forward momentum. I never thought about that until you guys brought it up...it all happened in such a surreal moment, honestly.

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
Guys,
I'm almost sorry to have even mentioned this. At this point, I'm waiting on a call from Noll to discuss the event, as I'm not sure he has been involved with this. 3DHS has always been fair to me in the past- since I first started purchasing planes there back in the spring of 2010. The planes have been great, and customer service has kept me loyal.

I hope to hear from Noll soon.