• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 42" slick

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Looks a bit on the portly side? 110g with 18 grams of mount/prop adapter. I assume the 103g is minus mount etc? If that is the case 7g is not a deal breaker. I am contemplating weight more seriously on this one though. From the reading I have done, 3 oz on this one goes from fun to brick. Makes me think about the 72g range a little more.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Looks a bit on the portly side? 110g with 18 grams of mount/prop adapter. I assume the 103g is minus mount etc? If that is the case 7g is not a deal breaker. I am contemplating weight more seriously on this one though. From the reading I have done, 3 oz on this one goes from fun to brick. Makes me think about the 72g range a little more.

Yes, the 103g omega is without the weight of the mount.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the input. I will do what I do best and spend 5000 hours looking at every possible motor esc combo in the world. Then run what is recommended because all the other freaks like me have done the same thing! It is all part of the fun.

ryan_m

100cc

Keep in mind the 72g was the original recommendation for the older v1 42" Slick, which had transparent covering on the bottom of the wing, a weaker landing gear block area, and thinner carbon fiber landing gear. Overall it made a different of around 2 oz in the weight. And by today's standards the old Omega 72 would have been considered low powered even on the older v1 Slicks.
You might also consider the Motrolfly 2810-1000 from subsonicplanes.com. Many of us have run that motor on the 42" Slick and loved it. It's about 10g lighter than an Omega 103 and capable of making the same power. Well built motor that will last. I happen to have a slightly used one I would let go for $40 if someone were interested in it...

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I got a major award. I think its Italian!

Attachments

• 20141201_105807.jpg
    20141201_105807.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 399
Last edited by a moderator:

Gene375

30cc
I just ordered the 42" slick with the Omega combo....I am looking to get the best servos, and am stuck, Are there better than the HS65mg's that will fit. This is my first plane like this, cant wait to get it, build it and get the thing in the air, Sounds like the 1800 batteries are the choice too. thanks Gene

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just ordered the 42" slick with the Omega combo....I am looking to get the best servos, and am stuck, Are there better than the HS65mg's that will fit. This is my first plane like this, cant wait to get it, build it and get the thing in the air, Sounds like the 1800 batteries are the choice too. thanks Gene

The new Hitec HS-5070MH is their most powerful servo in this size, and was made to meet the demands of the 3D community.

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos...ultra-torque-metal-gear-feather-servo/product