• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3D Hobbyshop 106" Edge 540

gyro

GSN Contributor
Just went to my favorite DA120 prop the Vess Stealth 28B. Can't fly til next year though. Glad that's tomorrow. :D

I've got the GP123, running a falcon 29x9W to a loud rip at full throttle... This engine has SILLY power. I think I tried a 28B Stealth on it during break in, and then moved up to a Mej 29x10S. I definitely like the Falcon better.

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
I've got the GP123, running a falcon 29x9W to a loud rip at full throttle... This engine has SILLY power. I think I tried a 28B Stealth on it during break in, and then moved up to a Mej 29x10S. I definitely like the Falcon better.

Cool. I think you did...isn't that the bird at the top of the page? :flyer: We shall see. This is my first time with the rear dump canisters. I'm wondering if it isn't making more power than standard stacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yowzilla

50cc
So, it looks like Gyro, MadIn, and myself are the ones lucky enough with the 106" to talk about on 3DRCF.

It looks like both of you have the stock carbon spinner back plate. Over the holiday I read too much on carbon back plates that I freaked myself out and purchased a 5" trueturn from DA. FYI- Fits perfect with the 3DHS kit included carbon spinner.

Also, for the first time I am at the limit with my DX9 (8 servos, engine kill, and smoke = 10 channel) and need to use (maybe prefer to use) the new Booma rc AR-IM22 servo matching thing. Are you guys simply mechanically matching the two Aileron servos per wing, plus Tx options?

Also, Gyro the material sent looks perfect..Thanks again.

gyro

GSN Contributor
So, it looks like Gyro, MadIn, and myself are the ones lucky enough with the 106" to talk about on 3DRCF.

It looks like both of you have the stock carbon spinner back plate. Over the holiday I read too much on carbon back plates that I freaked myself out and purchased a 5" trueturn from DA. FYI- Fits perfect with the included carbon spinner.

Also, for the first time I am at the limit with my DX9 (8 servos, engine kill, and smoke = 10 channel) and need to use (maybe prefer to use) the new Booma rc AR-IM22 servo matching thing. Are you guys simply mechanically matching the two Aileron servos per wing, plus Tx options?

I have had one carbon spinner fail, it was on the 92" Edge. It was a TBM spinner, and they sent me a replacement at no cost. I'm not sure what caused the failure, the spinner itself or the backplate.

So what is the story with the true turn back plate? (or did you get the whole spinner?)

For radio stuff, since I've got a 9ch, I'm set with one channel for everything since I don't have smoke. Each servo has it's own channel, and the wings are mechanically matched using a watt/amp meter, the radio, adjusting the rod length. However, I've heard good stuff about the Booma switch from [MENTION=109]NJSwede[/MENTION], as he was flying a 104" Slick on DX8 and needed it.

Glad you liked it, looking forward to seeing some pics of your plane. Have you flown it yet?

View attachment 106 Edge Review Shoot-54.jpg

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
G
I have had one carbon spinner fail, it was on the 92" Edge. It was a TBM spinner, and they sent me a replacement at no cost. I'm not sure what caused the failure, the spinner itself or the backplate.

So what is the story with the true turn back plate? (or did you get the whole spinner?)

For radio stuff, since I've got a 9ch, I'm set with one channel for everything since I don't have smoke. Each servo has it's own channel, and the wings are mechanically matched using a watt/amp meter, the radio, adjusting the rod length. However, I've heard good stuff about the Booma switch from [MENTION=109]NJSwede[/MENTION], as he was flying a 104" Slick on DX8 and needed it.

Glad you liked it, looking forward to seeing some pics of your plane. Have you flown it yet?

View attachment 32033
SFGs!!!! Gross!!!!! Lol. :rolleyes:

Yowzilla

50cc
The FingGiants forum has tons of horror stories about twins and carbon back plates throwing a prop or loosing spinner into wings along with years of opinions. From what I gather it is a chain reaction. The most credible guys seam to say the engine heat breaks down the carbon back plate layers, so prop bolt loosen, so prop shears bolts.

My take is a carbon back plate will work if quality part. But it is easy to mess up on one of the many process steps to a quality carbon part. Epoxy chemistry and ratio mixing, layup, vacuum, oven temp...bla bla bla....

On my experience side as a engineer that glues things together. Most if not all epoxies can not take 350F. I assume layers of carbon increase that number. But anyway...I got conservative and purchased a $32 Aluminum TrueTurn back plate...and plan on using nord locks on prop bolts...

Hope for maiden on Sunday but believe it or not the weather is bad down here as well. THIS IS OUR FLYING season....usually...

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
I watched Joe Smith fly this plane at the three day Port Murray NJ this past Summer.

Both he, and the plane were Amazing!

njswede

150cc

It looks like both of you have the stock carbon spinner back plate. Over the holiday I read too much on carbon back plates that I freaked myself out and purchased a 5" trueturn from DA. FYI- Fits perfect with the 3DHS kit included carbon spinner.

I'm flying my 104" on just 7 channels! (2 elevator, 1 rudder, 2 aileron, 1 throttle, 1 ignition kill) with the Booma matching thingy. It works like a charm. In fact, my servos are so well matched mechanically that the Booma made only very small adjustments. I'm really happy with the setup because it's dead simple. No crazy mixes and matches, no curves, no nothing. Just set the endpoints and fly!

Yowzilla

50cc
BPS00-3W is hand written on label. I think..see for yourself...Engine building trumps Penmanship

I just called DA direct when out of town and said DA-120 drilled 5" TureTurn back plate....took my address and CC number. When I got back in town it was at the house. I freaked a bit when I saw the part number was BPS00-3W and check fitment as soon as posiable. So don't freak with the 3W in part number....I thought it was for a 3W.

IMG_6936.JPGIMG_6937.JPGIMG_6938.JPG