• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

30cc / 76" Extra 330

The one Mike and I assembled is going to go gas later this season. Electric just did not work on the balance front. Just have to decide on a motor. DLE-35RA is the current front runner.

I managed to get a bit more done today. All control surface gaps are now sealed. I installed the elevators and linkage, same for the rudder. The below pic show the elevator on high rates, it gives you a good idea how much throw I have on the elevators.

Also, managed to installed 4/40 blind nuts for the DA 35 ignition. I've mocked up the ignition and the motor. Pics are attached.

I did change one thing. The bolts used to secure the landing gear to fuse have a phillips head with lock nuts. I thought the amount of area on the phillips head screw was too small and could strip easily, so I swapped them out for allen head blots. Just a personal preference .Much easier to work with.

My kit was missing the landing gear block cover. I called RW and as usual they're on the ball. I'll just have to wait till it's available to finish the kit.

Attachments

• Elevator full rates up.jpg
    Elevator full rates up.jpg
    861.4 KB · Views: 226
  • Full rates down.jpg
    Full rates down.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 4 40 blind nuts installed for the ignition.jpg
    4 40 blind nuts installed for the ignition.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 243
  • Ignition mounted with blind nuts and 4 40 bolts.jpg
    Ignition mounted with blind nuts and 4 40 bolts.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 270
  • DA35 and Ignition mocked up.jpg
    DA35 and Ignition mocked up.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 255
  • mock up ignition and DA35.jpg
    mock up ignition and DA35.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 251
  • DA35 mockup.jpg
    DA35 mockup.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

wow - that looks awesome...I agree with you regarding any phillips head screws that I receive in a kit...I throw them away because if they don't strip when you put them in, they will strip when you try to take them out! Allen head bolts for me all the way.
trimcraftaviationrc.com (site sponsor) makes some good ones in all sizes.

TimP

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
we don't sell them (officially on the site, but can get them of course) but that DA does look pretty :)

Nice build thread

Next weekend I may be able to fire up my DA35. All I have left to do is install the switch, throttle servo, choke, plumb and install the fuel tank...oh yeah, can't forget I have to CG the plane. Everthing thing else is done. Wonder where the CG point will be for this extra 330S.

Last edited by a moderator: