• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport 30% Edge 540 Pete Marshall Plans with Laser Cut Short Kit

mikeh

70cc twin V2
Looks good! Can I suggest one thing? On ur other wings sheeting don't end glue ur sheeting. If u scarf cut the sheeting to get the length u need ur wings we be a lot stronger. Honesty I would avoid splicing end to end when ever possible even on a square stick. Always try to cut a scarf of 45 degrees or better.
Mike

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Question for anyone that knows a good way to make holes for the control horns. I bought the horns for the Extreme Flight 50cc planes. They require something like 1/2" x 1/8" slots to epoxy the horns into. Is there a good way to make those slots???

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I will take it that no one has a spectacular way to make those slots! I guess I will go through how I do it as I go:)

I did the bevels on the tail surfaced last night. The rudder is close to 50 degrees of throw. The elevators have room for considerably more than that. Plenty for the rudder???? Or should I go for a few more degrees for 3D flying?

I took pics of the progression of one of the surfaces.

The last pic is the shavings from my fun last night.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 294
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 283
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 305

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
My boss said to spend time with the family this week if we don't have anything to do at work this week... My family has school and work... So we will see how much progress happens this week! I have high hopes for major progress since I will prioritize building over flying;) My goal for today is to finish the elevator hinges and build ailerons with beveling.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I didn't quite make it to my goal. But I do have one aileron framed up and the sheeting pieces for both ailerons made to start with tomorrow. The piece that will be beveled is not quite wide enough so I glued 1/16" layers to each side to make the correct thickness. The R2 isn't quite long enough so you can see in the first pic that I used some of the spacer area from the identical rib to make it usable.

Progression pics of the aileron.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 277
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 284
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 297
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 290

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Continuing progress!!

I had a little whoops with the wing... And fixed. I did the bevels for the one complete aileron and wing. Then I took a break from that to work on the tail.

Epoxied the vertical stabilizer on. Instead of shaping a wood block, I used sheeting to make the turtle deck extension. The tail is looking good!!

I CA'd some basswood block on the firewall for the screws that will hold the cowl on.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 284
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 291

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
First pic was a fun flight last week on a dry lake bed:)

I put the control horn slots into the control surfaces this morning. First I mounted the servos to see where the horns needed to be placed. Then I used the template to drill 1/16" holes at the edges of the slots. Then I drilled as many holes as I could between the others before using a really sharp knife to clean out the rest. It took about 3 hours to do all 5 control surfaces.

The last pic is the tail completely together for the first time.

But now I am to the final finishing touches before covering!! I just need to go over the whole thing to check for spots that need filler then final sand everything!! I'm excited to have this thing almost complete by the end of the weekend!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg