• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Well I have one aileron finished. I went with the ply control horns that I made, after I chucked it up in the vise and drug my 150 pound work bench across the shop, I feel it's pretty safe to assume the aileron would fail before the control horn. I did brush some thinned epoxy on them to fill the fibers up.

Today I started on the other aileron, which is going quite a bit faster because I already have the horn and slave rod tabs made.

After I put the Dubro hinges in and replaced the supplied cotter pins with piano wire I got to thinking, I know dangerous right? So Grampa made the hinge pins on his Wendell Hostetler Skybolt removable. A ring terminal on the end of the wire held to a plate with a screw, take out the screw and pull the wire out an the aileron comes off. Now in typical Grampa Mickey fashion, it was all inlaid flush into the wing tip (pics below).

Anyway, now I'm thinking I may be cutting the rear top sheeting off of the wing tips and doing this myself.

197.jpg

Left aileron finished and waiting hinge slotting in the wing.

198.jpg

Control horn and slave rod tabs.

200.jpg

Hinges in the wing and aileron on!

205.jpg

I was able to get the hinges flush with the sheeting by putting them in at an angle when the aileron is at neutral. Got a nice tight gap that I will seal with some tape from the bottom.

199.jpg

Bottom of the aileron. I get about 35 degrees of down deflection. I would think this will be plenty as this is NOT a 3D airplane.

203.jpg

How the slave rod tab is mounted, there will be a reinforcement piece glued next to it and then buried in epoxy.

204.jpg

Right aileron just needs the control horn mounted, bottom sheeting, and hinges.

201.jpg

Grampa's Skybolt wing showing the removable hinge pins. To remove the you take out the screw, rotate the pin until the ring terminal is sticking up and then pull the pin out.

Still the most impressive thing about this picture to me is how good the 'Bolt looks.... CONSIDERING IT IS 34 YEAR OLD!!!! Just goes to show how much of a builder papaw was.

202.jpg

Just a closer view. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to get to cutting the sheeting off of my Krier wingtip! lol (don't mind the dirt, just needs cleaned :) )

Bipeguy03

150cc
Well other than putting in the last flying wire tab and putting on one more cap strip the bottom wing is finished. I'm still undecided about whether or not to take the tip sheeting off to copy Grampa's removable aileron hinge pin, but that can be done later.

Next up is getting the wing fit to the fuselage, I need to cut the wing saddle in the fuse 3/16" deeper and then put in the front attach pins, followed by the wing mount bolts.

206.jpg

207.jpg

How I held the ailerons flat while putting the sheeting the bottom, a good flat piece of 1"x3" with a slot cut in it.

208.jpg

209.jpg

210.jpg

211.jpg

After I get the wing mounts finished I'm going to build the landing gear next. That's gonna be fun!

212.jpg

I'm quite happy with the shape :)

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well other than putting in the last flying wire tab and putting on one more cap strip the bottom wing is finished. I'm still undecided about whether or not to take the tip sheeting off to copy Grampa's removable aileron hinge pin, but that can be done later.

Next up is getting the wing fit to the fuselage, I need to cut the wing saddle in the fuse 3/16" deeper and then put in the front attach pins, followed by the wing mount bolts.

View attachment 90246

View attachment 90247

How I held the ailerons flat while putting the sheeting the bottom, a good flat piece of 1"x3" with a slot cut in it.

View attachment 90248

View attachment 90249

View attachment 90250

View attachment 90251

After I get the wing mounts finished I'm going to build the landing gear next. That's gonna be fun!

View attachment 90252

I'm quite happy with the shape :)
You are really coming along on this. Looks very cool...I must say.:way_to_go:

Bipeguy03

150cc
Thanks for the link. I'm now subscribed. Nice work.

I need a spindle sander. What brand is yours and do you like it?

Mine is a Central Machinery from Harbor Freight. I'm not usually of fan of HF power tools but this thing is great, and its cheap. I highly recommend one!