• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D 20cc Giles 202 Profile

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Really following this with interest. I have a AW 260 Pro it's ok but not the best a little heavy and has a lot of wing rock and with a YS 120 on front it needed just over 3oz lead in the tail. You can not move things around to balance it. Nice to see how yours comes out weight and balance. I might be hitting you up for a copy of the cad file.

BalsaDust

Hopefully mine balances well but its easy enough if its off a bit to change the location of the tail servos on the plans. I just picked up one of the smaller versions of the aeroworks pro 260X . Has some 60 size OS nitro engine on the nose. MY buddy I got it from had to tape a 5/16" allen wrench to the landing gear to get more weight on the nose of it. I' thinking I may just sell it but figure I need to give it a shot first.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hopefully mine balances well but its easy enough if its off a bit to change the location of the tail servos on the plans. I just picked up one of the smaller versions of the aeroworks pro 260X . Has some 60 size OS nitro engine on the nose. MY buddy I got it from had to tape a 5/16" allen wrench to the landing gear to get more weight on the nose of it. I' thinking I may just sell it but figure I need to give it a shot first.
My advice to you would be sell it you have a design and you can work with it.
What would be nice is a slot for the the wing tube and pins, say About an inch either way then adjust for final balance and then glue a doughnut supports rings for the tube and pins to the inside of the fuselage.

BalsaDust

That could be an option as well. One of the Probro's a year or so ago designed a plane with diff wings on it so he had done that. I think it was 3 diff wing options (standard wing, laminar airfoil, and super thick fun fly wing). The laminar wing had the tube in a diff spot so the fuse had to be able to accommodate both locations. It worked pretty well though I still haven't built my kit.

BalsaDust

giles sheeting.jpg

Watching someone else turn one of their designs into a quick build design got me thinking on this Giles. Now this will not be done on the prototype as it would be too much wasted time but rather for if it becomes a CNC cut kit. Basically all of the wing sheeting is setup to be CNC cut and all of it keys together. So you will lay it all out on the work bench and assemble it dry. Make sure it is square (being CNC cut there should be no problem there) and wick in some thin CA on all the joints. Once that cures give it a quick sand on both side then you can glue it onto the wing as one assembly. I would say for me it normally takes me about an hour to do just the top half on one wing panel so say 4 hrs total to do all the wing sheeting maybe a little quicker as I have never really timed myself. Doing it this way I would say 10-15 to assemble and sand each sheeting panel and 5-10 minutes to glue each panel on. So for sure I would say the time is at least cut in half if not more to sheet the wings and the final product I think will look a lot better. Not sure if it will be any stronger or not with the interlocking pieces. What does everyone think of this??

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 98765

Watching someone else turn one of their designs into a quick build design got me thinking on this Giles. Now this will not be done on the prototype as it would be too much wasted time but rather for if it becomes a CNC cut kit. Basically all of the wing sheeting is setup to be CNC cut and all of it keys together. So you will lay it all out on the work bench and assemble it dry. Make sure it is square (being CNC cut there should be no problem there) and wick in some thin CA on all the joints. Once that cures give it a quick sand on both side then you can glue it onto the wing as one assembly. I would say for me it normally takes me about an hour to do just the top half on one wing panel so say 4 hrs total to do all the wing sheeting maybe a little quicker as I have never really timed myself. Doing it this way I would say 10-15 to assemble and sand each sheeting panel and 5-10 minutes to glue each panel on. So for sure I would say the time is at least cut in half if not more to sheet the wings and the final product I think will look a lot better. Not sure if it will be any stronger or not with the interlocking pieces. What does everyone think of this??

All I can say it will be a much better wing and stronger buy quite a bit. have a Precision Aerobatics plane and the hole plane it done like that and it very lite and torsionally very rigid. But they do have a lot of diagonal bracing throughout and is also keyed in.

BalsaDust

I did think it would make it a little stronger as all the sheeting will have nice tight joints. I could go one step further and have notches in the sheeting that keyed into tabs on the ribs as well but I don't feel like going that far. Lots of ideas going through my head. Possible jig to build the wing on. make it impossible to not build it right. Would be cool but would add to the cost of the kit if its kitted. Man I really need to get myself a CNC setup in my shop.