• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 20cc Edge 540 Profile “The Glitter”

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Built one spar last night to see how well I can do it and how flat and straight it will turn out. Checked it out this morning and I am very pleased with the results. Carbon to one side of the bass wood was done with thin CA, then balsa to the other side of carbon with epoxy and last the balsa to the bass wood wood glue. Turned out good very light and now three more to go.
2A46070E-7149-4D21-8A87-46098FEDCBD8.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@BalsaDust when you balance the plane you do the CG but do you also do a lateral balance. With 20 cc gas motor on its side will make the right hand side heavier. Just thinking ahead on how to build the wings. Where do people usually mount the ignition module for the engine. In the wing or to the side of the fuselage. Do you have any pictures by any chance.

BalsaDust

I have always mounted ignition on same side as head of engine for ease. I mount receiver in the opening in the fuse between wings. Mount battery in wing opposite of engine. As far as lateral balance it’s something I have never done unless I’m having to carry a lot of trim on the ailerons at which point I’m also looking to see if there is a warp in the wings or control surfaces.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well moving along on the wing. Just making parts and gathering wood for the wing. The four wing spurs are made that took a full day. Still trying to decide on how to do the trailing edge of the wing. The thing is to make strong and flat and get all the angles correct. Believe 45 degrees up and down should be enough, I believe.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Decided not to cut the wing tube that I purchased and to leave it at 36 inches long. Because of this I am going to make a small short rib between rib four and five to support the end of the tube. The rib will pick up the four spars.

40F29C93-91C7-4407-8C80-A161CDC18017.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Looking at my Robart pin hinges stock it is a little low only have two need to order two packs 15 for the plane will use 1/8 size. Now just have see how long it takes to get to me.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Spent a little time on the lap top today to see how to do the training edge. Came up with a solution see picture. This gives me a good 1/2 inch of wood for the hinges to be glued too.

F16AE372-1E5C-4A4A-85A0-3A412E74B01C.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Made a start on the sheeting, one thing working and gluing 1/16 sheeting takes time a little more patience. I believe I need to glue 10 sheets together to cover the required areas on the wings.

D461C94B-E6FF-47BF-A010-2E9DFE851B68.jpeg