• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

2015 Sequences

djmoose

70cc twin V2
I'm already practicing Sportsman for next year...and I think I'll be spending a lot of time in this thread.

Well that's a well thought reason Wayne I just admire your common sense.
Hey Adi... Remember ...it it the entire Sequence Committee not just I.

Hope that Ty will consider helping out as he was a very valuable member on the ISC when he was on it.
Wayne

Last edited:
I'm already practicing Sportsman for next year...and I think I'll be spending a lot of time in this thread.
Hope you are enjoying flying it. Our friends in Sweden (Peter Schmidt) made videos, which I am sure you must have already seen. If not.. take a look on the IMAC website and go to the training section.
Safe flying and stay warm.
Wayne

i just practiced the Sportsman in real life. I have done it maybe 100 times on a flight simulator. so now i know it by heart.
Well today, i flew the sequence 12 times with my 91" ef yak, 70 cc motor. airplane weighs about 20 pounds.
my club runway runs north/south.
this day, there was a 5 to 10 mph wind from the North.
i made some observations that i would require any advice.

the biggest challenge was doing the humpty bump after the immelman/spin.

so i take off into wind, fly to the south side of the field.
and i begin with a 2 point roll
then, the 7/8ths loop.

going north, i do the shark took with the 2 of 4 roll.
head south for the Immelmann

then i do the 1 & 1/4 roll heading to the east (away from me). here is where it gets interesting

as the airplane is flying away from me, the wind is pushing the tail of the airplane to the right, the nose heads into the wind,

it appears the airplane is "crabbing" or just not flying straight. so i apply right rudder to correct this, but now, the airplane looks straight, but it is being pushed by the wind further south, once i pull up, again, the wind is pushing the tail to the right, and i do my 1/2 roll. now i am correcting with rudder in opposite direction, and as i come up and over, now my airplane's trajectory is further south!!!

how do you all deal with this?
any advice?

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Cam....all lines and figures should be wind-corrected. That is, you will need to crab, or angle (with yaw only) into the wind on horizontal AND vertical lines to keep the TRACK (not attitude) of the plane on the line intended. When I saw YAW only, this means you must keep the wings level, whether upright or inverted, or in the case of vertical lines, the wings will be aligned with the X or Y axis of the "box".

At lower airspeeds a crosswind will naturally push the tail, causing the nose to point into the wind, which is really to your advantage to keep the track on line. Use of the appropriate amount and direction of the rudder is one of the keys to flying IMAC well.

thank you Earle. I imagine, right before i begin my ascend to the vertical, i need to straighten her out with the rudder so i enter the maneuver with the wings level and the airplane's nose entering the radius in line with it?

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
No, not really. Leave the yaw angle in, just focus on maintaining wings level during the pull to vertical.

Hold your hand out palm down and level. Now yaw it 30 degrees to the left (or right). Now "fly your hand to the vertical line, holding that yaw angle. You should reach vertical with the same yaw.

I admit that's a LOT, but it demonstrates what is needed. But I've flown in contests that took THAT MUCH to maintain track.

Wait till you fly your new Dalton Cam. That thing will really yaw in the wind. Makes it almost too easy to fly wind corrected lines, unless it's really windy then you have to almost rudder away from the wind.