• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

2-stroke oil,what works,what doesn't

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
The Ultimate solution to the never ending debate.

4 oz of STIHL Ultra HP + 4 oz of Red Line Racing, mix with 2 gallons of Non-ethanol 93 gas and go FLY

Do-rag

100cc
I just have [MENTION=23]Snapasaurus[/MENTION]; and [MENTION=186]Father Don[/MENTION]; bless my gas and no oil needed

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Everything from RCG 26, DLE 35, RCG 50, DLE 55 (X2), 3W 75I, 3W 157CS. All on 40:1 Redline. 90 octane non eth. Had 70+ flights on the RCG 50cc. Every single time, "ONE" flip and that motor would purr endlessly. So far, everyone of them clean and smooth as babies behind. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Not even willing to do different.

pauflyer

New to GSN!
Skimming through this thread, I didn't notice any mention of my "secret oil". I run mostly Stihl HP Ultra, but about every third jug, I run Rejuvenate. No fuel-oil problems.

15405=9144-Rejuvenate Sthil.jpg
15405=9144-Rejuvenate Sthil.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
orthobird;11335 wrote: you guys got to love these threads, the oil question!!!

well, seems that there is a lot of science behind this, and it being an organic compound, sure does make things more interesting.

i know you all have heard DA recommends use redline 40 to 1 from the beginning. but, then, others say, break in with a mineral oil, after ints get seated, then switch over the synthetic. just within past 2 weeks, i read somewhere that if you use mineral based oils, there is a significant amount to caking that occurs inside the cylinders, piston tops, con rod, con rod pin area, etc....

then someone posted pictures of pistons/cylinders that were run on red line from day 1, yes, now i know who, it was RICHO from DA Australia. he showed another engine that had an oil from France, he would not give out the brand name. You can search and find this on you tube. anyways, the piston with the "other oil", wow, looked like caked on cow chips.

well, now, i learned something even stranger, i never expected to hear this......

turns out, the mineral oil helps rings bed in sooner, however, you get all the "cake".

but, then there are engines that are "converts" to redline oil, as you have all pointed out, and then these have been dissected (LOL).

they have discovered that the engines with red line oil looked cleaner after they had been run on mineral oil then switched to redline, but....

they found damage to the rings. apparently, the red line oil helps to "remove" the "cake" on stuff everywhere, but then this acts like 3rd body wear particles.

and thus, now i understand why DA says: Use redline from day 1.

ok, what do you all think about that?

kind of a paradigm shift!!!!

couldn't you assume, if mineral oil is being used to break in the engine that the cake has lots of little metallic particles in the cake? and that the cake isn't just carbon but an abrasive mix of carbon and metal? so it the redline breaks it loose then the result is all of that built up carbon/metal being released into your engine to do damage until it's flushed out.

ashless dispersant oils in 4-stroke aviation engines keep solids from settling so that they can be filtered out during break-in, as I understand it. after the break-in is complete they go to a standard aviation oil.