• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

2-stroke oil,what works,what doesn't

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
nebwake;5317 wrote: I was thinking about swapping HP Ultra (easy to get in lincoln at the hardware stores) for Redline. The HP ultra does leave some black oil residue on my planes, but Im not really sure what the ratio is and im too lazy to calculate it. I dump a "makes 2.5 gallons" into a 2 gallon can I have that holds 2.2 gallons. so it probably ends up about 32:1 ish.

Your ratio is probably 45:1

I also was going to switch to Redline oil.

I even bought a gallon, but I then inspected the inside of one of my DA-170's that I have been running Stihl HP Ultra in.

This was a year worth of running ( not sure how many gallons ).

From what I have also heard from some engine / oil guys is that the Stihl HP Ultra actually protects a little better at higher temps then Redline.

But the Redline maybe a tad cleaner.

I like the idea of if the enhine gets hot, i may have some better protection, so I decided to stay with the Stihl HP Ultra.

The only thing I may change is my ratio.

I've been running 50:1, but may go to 40:1

I'm happy with the way the engines run and the way they look inside.

[url=http://s295.photobucket.com/user/2robinhood/media/DA-170%20Edge%20540/IMG_20140603_185722_036_zps6d42814b.jpg.html]

[url=http://s295.photobucket.com/user/2robinhood/media/DA-170%20Edge%20540/IMG_20140603_185806_172_zpse3d9be69.jpg.html]

[url=http://s295.photobucket.com/user/2robinhood/media/DA-170%20Edge%20540/IMG_20140603_185837_652_zps7b29c324.jpg.html]

Bdegan;4535 wrote: Just switching to synthetic after break in

JRgraham;4595 wrote: I also use a petro oil for break in, usually anywhere from 2-5 gallons depending on motor quality, and switch to Redline there after things feel right. :)

aarestor;4484 wrote: Redline 40:1 no problems .

you guys got to love these threads, the oil question!!!

well, seems that there is a lot of science behind this, and it being an organic compound, sure does make things more interesting.

i know you all have heard DA recommends use redline 40 to 1 from the beginning. but, then, others say, break in with a mineral oil, after ints get seated, then switch over the synthetic. just within past 2 weeks, i read somewhere that if you use mineral based oils, there is a significant amount to caking that occurs inside the cylinders, piston tops, con rod, con rod pin area, etc....

then someone posted pictures of pistons/cylinders that were run on red line from day 1, yes, now i know who, it was RICHO from DA Australia. he showed another engine that had an oil from France, he would not give out the brand name. You can search and find this on you tube. anyways, the piston with the "other oil", wow, looked like caked on cow chips.

well, now, i learned something even stranger, i never expected to hear this......

turns out, the mineral oil helps rings bed in sooner, however, you get all the "cake".

but, then there are engines that are "converts" to redline oil, as you have all pointed out, and then these have been dissected (LOL).

they have discovered that the engines with red line oil looked cleaner after they had been run on mineral oil then switched to redline, but....

they found damage to the rings. apparently, the red line oil helps to "remove" the "cake" on stuff everywhere, but then this acts like 3rd body wear particles.

and thus, now i understand why DA says: Use redline from day 1.

ok, what do you all think about that?

kind of a paradigm shift!!!!

Mikeq

150cc

Not long ago over at FG reyn3545 had posted pictures of his DA 85 disassembled and that he had been using redline oil. That DA Australia redline video was also shown and I kept looking at that carboned up piston in the video and when compared to the DA 85 piston it looked to me almost as dark..The piston on the DA video that was using redline looked almost untarnished. I know the DA 85 probably had much more runtime than the one in the video, even though they claimed it was ran for eight years, then again to prove their point they had to show a stark contrast between the two pistons.... I think there's a lot of variables.. consistency in oil gas ratio, may be the type of gas used, then of course how well the engine is tuned... if you run it rich or lean will add or subtract to carbon deposits. I don't think it can all be boiled down simply to the type of synthetic oil you are using.

thepamster

70cc twin V2
Bhughes;11385 wrote: Let the Shananagins begin lol

Begin? We are nearly at 8 pages. 8 pages about oil.

When I first got into gas around 1990 I went to the local lawn equipment shop and bought a name brand oil that they keep in stock. I followed the instructions to mix with gas and then went flying.

That is the extent of thought that I went into reguarding oil. I haven't thought much about it since.

Mikeq;11410 wrote: Not long ago over at FG reyn3545 had posted pictures of his DA 85 disassembled and that he had been using redline oil. That DA Australia redline video was also shown and I kept looking at that carboned up piston in the video and when compared to the DA 85 piston it looked to me almost as dark..The piston on the DA video that was using redline looked almost untarnished. I know the DA 85 probably had much more runtime than the one in the video, even though they claimed it was ran for eight years, then again to prove their point they had to show a stark contrast between the two pistons.... I think there's a lot of variables.. consistency in oil gas ratio, may be the type of gas used, then of course how well the engine is tuned... if you run it rich or lean will add or subtract to carbon deposits. I don't think it can all be boiled down simply to the type of synthetic oil you are using.

that makes a lot of sense too. no matter what, if you are too rich, i am certain the carbon will build up!!