• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

12S power systems ideas and options

Tim H.

50cc
Yup, It's awesome! Here's a quick video. It was super windy but the plane was superb! Video is with the 24x10. I need to edit the footage with the 24x12.

[video=youtube_share;g-gRr5p4B-o]http://youtu.be/g-gRr5p4B-o[/video]

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
The last word in 12S setups for the 70-74 inch class 3D airframes.

This is the Hacker A60-7S 215Kv, but the DM4330-216Kv will shave about 3.5 ounces. 2x 6S 3300 40C Sky Lipos with a 20x8 PJN. The ESC is a Mezon 95A OPTO. My son Tom doesn't fly my planes too often but when he does, they come down scared. :veryshocked:

[video=youtube;dqp2TTgMqRk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqp2TTgMqRk[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
Going to be installing a 12s motor into the 76" Edge I'm building right now.

It's wound at 220kv, weighs ~650g and is rated for 90a/3000w. I'm thinking 19x10 or 19x8 PJN.

It's a motor from China I'm testing for one of our site sponsors, and while I'm skeptical of it preforming similar to a hacker or Motrolfly, I'm going to give it a try.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I don't know what the Kv efficiency is or if that's the real Kv or some rounded number, but to really test the motor in order to make a true comparison to the Motrolfly and Hacker, you should use a ESC with logging capability and first run it up for just a few seconds without a prop load and use the RPMs versus the volts as a baseline. Then run it up to WOT for about 10 seconds after a 15 second warm up at around half throttle with the prop on. If you get 220 unloaded, then you can calculate the Kv efficiency loaded...

KvE = RPMs / (220Kv * volts)

If it can hold 80% with both props, then you may be disappointing with the 19x8 PJN. That should be 2450 to 2500 Watts, 56 Amps, and 17 pounds of thrust. I'm not sure what the 76 Edge weighs, but at 12.5 pounds, that would be about 200 Watts per pound and a 1.4-to-1 thrust to weight.

Motrolfly and Hacker both hold a consistent KvE even when going to a higher load prop, but the batteries will typically sag a bit lowering RPMs to no fault of the motor. On a decent 220Kv motor, you should see 7650 to 7700 RPMs and about 67 Amps with the 19x10. That will be 233 Watts per pound and about a 1.6-to-1 thrust to weight, which is good.

The ballistic power in the video is what 285 Watts per pound and a 2-to-1 thrust to weight looks like.

You should also try the 21x10 PJN or Falcon on 10S with the motor. I do that on the 74 Edge too with the 215Kv and it has a little more grunt in the mid-range but nothing like the 12S with the 20x8 at the top end. Some may like the added torque, but you would need to see 6500 RPMs after the warm-up with the 21x10 or it's not worth it.

Tim H.

50cc
I'm skeptical of it preforming similar to a hacker or Motrolfly, I'm going to give it a try.

It's just going to blow up... :veryshocked:

Just joshin'... Keep us informed! I'm jumping on the 12s bandwagon for the 30cc class as soon as I get my motor rewound.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to do 2 batteries for 8s, might as well do 12s and get the efficiency. It is so nice that we now have motors now for this setup.

Funny how things are evolving to be like helis with 550, 600 and 700 power systems.

Hey guys,

I hope this isn't too off topic, but enterprise brought up about the powers systems shifting toward Heli powers divisions and it raised a question in my mind.

Obviously there are a couple of favorite motor brands in the plane world, but has anyone tried running scorpion motors for planes?

Why would you not try them and if you have what were your results?

Thanks!

I ran a scorpion 8s motor a few years ago. I HATED the collet adapter. That alone tells me to not use a Scorpion. [MENTION=646]cwojcik[/MENTION] used a 10s motor on his challenger, but they discontinued that particular motor.