• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

12S power systems ideas and options

gyro

GSN Contributor
Pontus and I just got finished with our run. 24x10TH Mej, Glacier 2x 6s5000 45C packs.

We warmed the motor and battery up for about 1.5 minutes, mixed throttle from low to med-high, bursts, etc.

Starting approximately 2 minutes in, we began the run:

10 sec - 117.3A, 43.1v, 5055w
20 sec - 114.2A, 42.7v, 4880w
30 sec - 113.8A, 42.5v, 4836w

Let it rest and recover for about 1 minute, then did it again:

10 sec - 122.3A, 43.3v, 5300w
20 sec - 119.8A, 42.5v, 5080w
30 sec - 115.1A, 42.2v, 4900w

RPM data was taken using hand held prop tach, and wasn't recorded.

First run peaked 6400, settled at 6250 for the remainder.

Second run peaked 6500, settled at 6340 for the remainder.

I personally don't have a ton of confidence in the little hand held RPM thing, but they're probably in the ballpark.

----

Also, it seems the numbers taken with the 24x9 Xion were skewed as a result of the prop being horribly out of balance. As a matter of fact, even adding a servo clip to the tip of one blade wouldn't balance it.

Hope this all helps.

Also, motor temp 3 minutes after this abuse was a comfy 141F peak, OAT 58F.
View attachment 22100
[MENTION=95]Aeroplayin[/MENTION] / Jim,

Did the above data not prove useful?

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
[MENTION=95]Aeroplayin[/MENTION] / Jim,

Did the above data not prove useful?

Sorry I wasn't paying attention over the last few days, but yes. I'm not going to come to any conclusions just yet, but here are some caparisons to the DM5335 with the 189Kv and the 24x10TH. Of course it is not the same sampling method, and any Castle log data, or Eagle Tree, or Jeti Profi data, would alway be welcomed if someone was able to pull the CSV files from these programs. But in the meantime, this is what we do know from the Castle data after settling in after a minute of warming up at up to 50% throttle, then taking the first 30 second at wide-open. The RPM, volt, and Watts values are a complete average of the top 30 samples, and the Amps is a Max reading, and this is all static testing.

RPMs = 6832
Volts = 44.15
Watts = 5071
Peak Amps = 117.10
Measured Thrust = 35.9 to 36.5 pounds

This is about 5.7 HP or 4252 Watts-out.

The Vess 24B also seems to be a prop worth mentioning here too:

RPMs = 6863
Volts = 44.29
Watts = 4962
Peak Amps = 114.80
Measured Thrust = 36.4 to 37.1 pounds

This is about 5.8 HP or 4311 Watts-out.

I also have data for the 24x10 PJN, the 24x12 PJN, and the Mejzlik 22x10E to see how this combo would perform on the 78 Extra and perhaps the new 78/87 MXS which should be available soon. The 12 pitch PJN seems to be produce a similar 5.74 HP but on 123.9A (peak). The volts per cell moved to lower values much quickly too, and considering the battery stress, and decrease in flight time, I would not consider it myself. JMHO.

The 24x10 PJN also did very well, and considering the price difference, it's probably a comparable option to the Mejzlik.

RPMs = 6803
Volts = 44.44
Watts = 5093
Peak Amps = 117.10
Measured Thrust = 35.5 to 36.5 pounds

This is about 5.6 HP, or 4196 Watts-out.

I also have some comparative data with these props with the Q80-8M, and one thing that stands out is the 25x10 PJN data...

RPMs = 6399
Volts = 42.52
Watts = 5144
Peak Amps = 124.40
Measured Thrust = 33.9 to 35.9 pounds

This is about 5.5 HP, or 4116 Watts-out, and the voltage was sagging to about 3.54 volts per cell when these values were recorded. Not the prop for me, but this is a lot of torque through the entire throttle curve. Interesting anyway, and guys that like a floaty, low and slow 3D routine, many want to try it as long as there are no timing issues with the added load.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
FYI -- for anyone wondering why there can be seemingly more Watts but less HP, it's just that the measured Watts is calculated using Amps and volts while HP and Watts-out are calculated using the RPMs and the physical prop specs to get a value for the amount of power required at the shaft to spin the prop that fast. The Watts includes all the other power that is used for all other aspects of the system, like heat and maintaining a magnetic field. Another problem with pure Watts calculated from Amps and volts, is that the meters we use samples them at about 10 Hertz while the switching is occurring between 8 and 12 Kilohertz.

We're obviously not using a dynamo to measure HP, but these values are relative enough to give us a decent and acceptable comparison between props and motors. It's also important to understand that most of this is reliant on your battery health.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sorry I wasn't paying attention over the last few days, but yes. I'm not going to come to any conclusions just yet, but here are some caparisons to the DM5335 with the 189Kv and the 24x10TH. Of course it is not the same sampling method, and any Castle log data, or Eagle Tree, or Jeti Profi data, would alway be welcomed if someone was able to pull the CSV files from these programs. But in the meantime, this is what we do know from the Castle data after settling in after a minute of warming up at up to 50% throttle, then taking the first 30 second at wide-open. The RPM, volt, and Watts values are a complete average of the top 30 samples, and the Amps is a Max reading, and this is all static testing.

RPMs = 6832
Volts = 44.15
Watts = 5071
Peak Amps = 117.10
Measured Thrust = 35.9 to 36.5 pounds

This is about 5.7 HP or 4252 Watts-out.

What are your thoughts when this data is compared to my second run, (about 3 mins into the battery)

It seems I was getting a little more power through mine?

Going out tomorrow with a 23x10 PJN and a 24x10 Falcon CF gas prop.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Well, I don't really see much there to talk about because your average volts per cell does not really change... 3.56v per cell, on average, which is low to begin with. Since the Kv did not change, It would be easier to explaining the extra 90 RPMs average as a 1.5% statistical measuring error. Like I said earlier, you were sampling an 8 KHz cycle with a 10 Hz meter. I didn't do the math to see if the 1.5% RPM increase calculates to the 3% Watts and Amps increase, but that's still not enough to think that it's anything more than the battery chemistry perking up a bit with the added heat. We don't see much of that here in Florida.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Cool. Flew it today with the 24x10 Falcon prop, and I love it. Time set for 5:30 and I'm still not using as much juice as id expect.

Got a static amp/voltage measurement on a nearly full (4.11 per cell).

125a for a continuous run, 5600w. 3.73v p/c

gyro

GSN Contributor
Today's flight on the Falcon CF 24x10

[video=youtube;Xv42t327ShQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv42t327ShQ[/video]

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
18.5 pounds has always been my goal for the 8M and now for the DM5335 too. We were talking about power on another thread and I had to remind even myself, that we have a limit here. We want to keep the volts up above 3.6v per cell as often as possible, and with a 5000mAh capacity, we want to keep the Amps down below 120A or sacrifice flight time. Multiply 119A times 3.6v per cell, time 12 cells, and we end up with 5140 Watts. Add more capacity to increase flight time, and the added weight mean less power-to-weight. Add a bigger prop to gain more torque, and risk dropping under a 5 minute flight time.

For power hungry fliers like me, an 18.5 pound airplane means 275 Watts per pound at 5140 Watts, which will typically assure a full flight in the "silly" power range. Do you remember how many mAh's you put back after Brian's flight, Gyro?