• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters
Hi, I recently start to use a Timber 110 for sport flying and aerotowing. I prefer to go electric so this is my setup:

Dualsky GA4000.7 180Kv
ESC Hobbywing FlyFun 110A HV V5 SBEC
Servos Dualsky DS8611 18kg.cm@7.4V (250oz.in@7.4V)
Propeller 22x10
Batteries 12s 4000 mAh
Flying weight 8.3kg (18.3lb)

Regards.

very nice, this was exactly the combo I was considering when I was thinking of making my Timber electric powered. But I didn't think that huge motor would fit inside the cowl, wasn't it a very tight fit at 80mm? I'd love to do some towing with mine, but alas no glider pilots where I live now. Yours is very impressive, great power under tow, how many tows per charge?

far3f

New to GSN!
very nice, this was exactly the combo I was considering when I was thinking of making my Timber electric powered. But I didn't think that huge motor would fit inside the cowl, wasn't it a very tight fit at 80mm? I'd love to do some towing with mine, but alas no glider pilots where I live now. Yours is very impressive, great power under tow, how many tows per charge?

Hi, yes, I had a problem when I tried to put the cowl, I hadn't think about it. So I had to deform slightly a bit the cowl with a heat gun and when I installed it, I moved it a little up, so it is not perfectly aligned with the spinner but you don't notice much. It is working fine, the motor very close to the cowl but without touching.

With my 4000mAh batteries, I only can do 2 tows. I have several pairs of them so it is not a problem for me. I use these batteries in other models in 6s and 12s. But probably it could better use 5000 mAh batteries, only a bit heavier and maybe another tow possible.

I'm very happy with the combo, very light, it flies slow incredibly good.

Regards.

took it to the field and adjusted the carb and did a range check today, was still lacking one servo but it came later today so next week maiden. tried a makeshift weighing. plane alone on a bathroom scale and me holding it then averaged to 20.5, lightest weigh in was 19.5 pounds.
. egine run.jpg

well today was the day. did the first flight of my Timber. uneventful mostly. a big pussycat. running a no brand 23/8 chinese prop, and it's large and heavyish, rpms are down, but I also have it running rich for break in, so a falcon carbon is on the way today. :) Question for you veteran Timber pilots. I balanced it at exactly 5" from the leading edge. it required quite a bit of down trim but showed no signs of being tail heavy, flying inverted shallow dives etc. thinking I may need to shim the engine down a degree. anyone run into that? here is a link to a video on youtube, shot with cell phone by one of the guys, so if you watch it, use a computer screen. These guys a a fun bunch of guys, I don't think many of them have ever seen a big plane like this, they told me they were prepared to run out and grab the wings if I landed long :), but as you can see I landed in a few feet.(good thing)
Timber 110 - YouTube

timber set1.jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
well today was the day. did the first flight of my Timber. uneventful mostly. a big pussycat. running a no brand 23/8 chinese prop, and it's large and heavyish, rpms are down, but I also have it running rich for break in, so a falcon carbon is on the way today. :) Question for you veteran Timber pilots. I balanced it at exactly 5" from the leading edge. it required quite a bit of down trim but showed no signs of being tail heavy, flying inverted shallow dives etc. thinking I may need to shim the engine down a degree. anyone run into that? here is a link to a video on youtube, shot with cell phone by one of the guys, so if you watch it, use a computer screen. These guys a a fun bunch of guys, I don't think many of them have ever seen a big plane like this, they told me they were prepared to run out and grab the wings if I landed long :), but as you can see I landed in a few feet.(good thing)
Timber 110 - YouTube

View attachment 118119
:woohoo!:

WMcNabb

150cc
Timber 110 - YouTube

View attachment 118119
Congratulations!!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Alright!! My timber flies pretty true, no engine shims required. It’s about 5.125” CG

thrust angle issues are easy to figure out I think. If at idle putting along you have it trimmed out for level flight and you give it half+ throttle you should see if the engine wants to push it down or up immediately before it gets speed. Mine may have a bit of coupling due to the gear with e extra drag those bring so it’s a bit trickier to fine tune.... but like I said the immediate nose dive or climb should let you know. But I’m not that picky for little nuisance trims and my brain makes my fingers become the gyro so some extent. If your noticing it a bunch like you’re saying... maybe try the idle to half given you take out the trim by moving the CG forward first.
I can’t remember, is your fuel tank backed up next to the rudder servo?

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Got ready to go flying and ended up having to do some maintenance. New choke rod, and my lower ply engine mount seam was popped. Mixed up some epoxy and added some tri-stock.
AFC4AD73-570A-4FE6-8B23-431851055A1B.jpeg
AA41B705-1243-4A71-8930-2A326601F4E7.jpeg
A2F684D8-BC3B-4CB8-834B-ED18E806A450.jpeg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I did go flying! For about 7-8min before a rain cloud came and ruined my session. It was unfortunate as my truck was a little trek away. My poor Timber got drenched before I got it in the back of the truck... really wish the wings popped on and off like a SkyWing plane.

Here’s the playground at low tide and my timber way down at the bottom near the rocks.
CAE53935-12CC-4F5C-93E1-D342C8E97C31.jpeg

My wetted Timber:
7CD93432-75F7-4D47-A5A3-3D1A1039DB78.jpeg

Alright!! My timber flies pretty true, no engine shims required. It’s about 5.125” CG

thrust angle issues are easy to figure out I think. If at idle putting along you have it trimmed out for level flight and you give it half+ throttle you should see if the engine wants to push it down or up immediately before it gets speed. Mine may have a bit of coupling due to the gear with e extra drag those bring so it’s a bit trickier to fine tune.... but like I said the immediate nose dive or climb should let you know. But I’m not that picky for little nuisance trims and my brain makes my fingers become the gyro so some extent. If your noticing it a bunch like you’re saying... maybe try the idle to half given you take out the trim by moving the CG forward first.
I can’t remember, is your fuel tank backed up next to the rudder servo?

I'm similar in that if I don't make trim adjustments right away, my brain just flys the plane and compensates, I took the engine out already and added a small thin washer (2) to increase the down thrust. I had checked the down thrust before I flew it when setting the engine and it was a shy 2 degrees. The CG is great at least from one trim flight. in inverted flight almost no trim changes noted, I just don't like flying a "dirty" plane with noticeable elevator down trim. Could also be the Decalage, but I didn't check it. don't want to make permanent changes if not needed. I wanted to move the engine forward a little anyway so I was already tearing into the mount disassembly. I also moved the engine up a smidge to better align with the cowl ( I already trimmed/adjusted the cowl as much as I could) engine was low at the spinner. My tank is as far back as it will go, and I have 2- 2200 lipos rearward of the rudder servo on the side. can always move the bats forward if it becomes necessary. Thanks for the feedback. onward and upward, got lucky and found a 23x8 Falcon carbon prop at a Manila hobby shop, so that's already in the mail to me.
IMG20210523201520.jpg IMG20210525110509.jpg