• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Looking like I’m going to need at least a 1/4” spacer for the engine mounts for the prop hub to make it through. Even in the manual they have you put a spacer on for the evo33. There is no mention on the dle 55. The supplied mounts will bring the 55 to almost flush or a decent gap. So time to get some spacers.... makes me wonder why they didn’t just design it 1/4” forward. Odd

Boy I started small grinding away at the cowl... ended up taking the lower half off pretty much. Rear exhaust was the main culprit. And am probably going to take it even further. Oh well!
As is:
7512C7CF-B7FF-40ED-BE0A-69087E5E0AB5.jpeg
Thick spacer balanced on top:
630C6604-BC70-405C-9B69-E1FB617A90EF.jpeg
Thin spacer balanced on top:
F839E495-CB9A-49FA-949E-64BD47E31460.jpeg

Thin spacer on and spinner in place will rub:
9E1DA133-DD4D-4512-864B-6CD1B2FB4971.jpeg E582A2C7-5455-4B8C-B011-D57AC8613BB1.jpeg

Maybe 8mm spacer
3CECDA17-6ACA-45D3-8956-E8D908F38FF6.jpeg

That’s one way to lighten it up....
FDA79425-7E59-49FC-AF2E-315E3F6541A2.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The LHS is hoping it will show up this coming Friday. But nothing is confirmed and nobody is tracking it???

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well boys the electric power system that was going to be installed into the Timber has been changed and will most likely be installed into a pattern ship. Now I need to find a new power plant for the Timber. Have no idea what to pick for the Timber.

WMcNabb

150cc
Well boys the electric power system that was going to be installed into the Timber has been changed and will most likely be installed into a pattern ship. Now I need to find a new power plant for the Timber. Have no idea what to pick for the Timber.

What did you install in your Inverza? Like it enough to put one in the Timber, or want more power?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
What did you install in your Inverza? Like it enough to put one in the Timber, or want more power?
The Inverza has an OS GT33. The Timber predicted weight is 19 lbs I think a 33 cc is a little on the light side to do 3D stuff with. Do not know how crazy my thoughts are but was looking at maybe a DA60 it is lighter than a DA50. Most of the guys are installing DLE55 in the Timber so a 60 is not that much more and it is lighter.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
The Inverza has an OS GT33. The Timber predicted weight is 19 lbs I think a 33 cc is a little on the light side to do 3D stuff with. Do not know how crazy my thoughts are but was looking at maybe a DA60 it is lighter than a DA50. Most of the guys are installing DLE55 in the Timber so a 60 is not that much more and it is lighter.

Sounds like the nose likes a little more weight up front than a 35cc has for balancing. So at least a 50cc in my book.
DLE55RA is on sale at NWRC FYI! https://northwestrc.com/DLE55RA--55cc-REAR-EXHAUST-Aircraft-Gas-Engine_p_1070.html
Which is half the cost of a DA60! Food for thought.
I think the DA50/60 are actually the same weight.

I needed to make some longer spacers for my DLE55. Will post pics later.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Sounds like the nose likes a little more weight up front than a 35cc has for balancing. So at least a 50cc in my book.
DLE55RA is on sale at NWRC FYI! https://northwestrc.com/DLE55RA--55cc-REAR-EXHAUST-Aircraft-Gas-Engine_p_1070.html
Which is half the cost of a DA60! Food for thought.
I think the DA50/60 are actually the same weight.

I needed to make some longer spacers for my DLE55. Will post pics later.

Thanks for that looked at the engine and yes it is a good price. Looked at the weights and the DA is actually lighter than the Dle which surprised me.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for that looked at the engine and yes it is a good price. Looked at the weights and the DA is actually lighter than the Dle which surprised me.
True! Hard to beat a DA! The one thing I know is that the DLE55 has a pretty decent reputation, otherwise I would have gone with the DA as well. One thing to keep in mind is that the DLE Muffler doesn't weigh anything. However, it does look on paper that the DLE weighs almost a half pound more?!?!? not sure why I never saw that before.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
True! Hard to beat a DA! The one thing I know is that the DLE55 has a pretty decent reputation, otherwise I would have gone with the DA as well. One thing to keep in mind is that the DLE Muffler doesn't weigh anything. However, it does look on paper that the DLE weighs almost a half pound more?!?!? not sure why I never saw that before.
My problem is I have had a few engines in my life and fixed numerous engines for some of my friends and the four DA’s that I own have been flawless never sent them in for service or anything, just go to the field 5 to six flips and all four run as good as the day I bought them. So it is hard for me not to take a long look at another for the Timber with a side exhaust.