• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Wing tube phenolic??

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
OK master builders, I assessed the 91" Extra that I gracefully planted this weekend. I'm thinking of repairing the fuse and making foam core wings since I have everything I need, BUT a wing tube socket. The rudder hinges had enough crankshafts, pop tops and blenders and it looks like four failed and the other two pulled out and I was coming in for a low KE pass and it kept sinking. Got it canopy up at the last second but one wing is beyond repair.

Well, I know how to make socket from fiberglass but I just happened to notice that a cardboard roll from Ultracote is almost exactly the right size. What's your thoughts on using that? I'm thinking if I soak it with thin CA on the inside and make some sort of make-shift ream to clean it out it may be just about perfect. I could spray the tube itself with lacquer and fine sand for a good fit.

Thoughts?

jaybird

70cc twin V2
No master builder here, but best I remember I have seen cardboard used in the past. Maybe on the old Wildhare 50cc planes?

Spats

100cc
Terry, I don't see why it would not work. I think the wood is really the real support and the cover is just a guide for the wing tube.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
My thoughts exactly. The phenolics I get from TNT are basically a hard cardboard soaked with resin of some sort.

May as well post my glamour shot, I've never really dorked one in other than running out of gas once, only other crashes were glow turds and electrics.

18195=12421-oops.jpg
18195=12421-oops.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Terryscustom;18195 wrote: My thoughts exactly. The phenolics I get from TNT are basically a hard cardboard soaked with resin of some sort.

May as well post my glamour shot, I've never really dorked one in other than running out of gas once, only other crashes were glow turds and electrics.

That'll buff out easy!

Spats

100cc
I just remembered that I have put my finger threw one once it was so thin (China Paper) and never gave it a second thought, just kept flying it and still flying it. :dancing-poop:

SleepyC

150cc
The only thing I'd be concerned about would be "squish". If the cardboard compresses it could allow the wing tube to move. But perhaps if you soak it in CA that would take any chance of squish away. If you want to be absolutely sure, I'm sure Tom from TNT would sell you just some of the Phnolic in the proper size.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
SleepyC;18228 wrote: If you want to be absolutely sure, I'm sure Tom from TNT would sell you just some of the Phnolic in the proper size.

That was the first place I went. This is 30mm O.D. carbon tube and I can't find a sleeve anywhere. If both wings were damaged I'm sure I could dig them out, but left wing is perfect so maybe someone else could use it some day.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
Terry, what about replacing the socket in the fuselage with an 1 1/4" from TNT. Depending on how the fuse is it may not be to hard to do.