• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Wing Nut / attachments

O

Ohio AV8TOR

So my 83" MXS has a difficult location for putting on on off wing screws. I usually use a hex head steel screw with a bonded washer with a ball hex driver but even that is hard to do. So let me bounce this of you. I saw the 3DHS 103 Extra and several people at Austin had a "L" wire clip because the attachment was also hard to get to. Today at lunch time I went to Home Depot and picked up these hairpin clips and bent them 90° to make it easy to push in and remove. My thinking is cutting off the cap screw head to make a pin and screwing the stud in as the Seacraft system uses. I might even get a plastic washer between the fuse wood and clip then marke off and drill for the pin.

I hate to damage any wires trying to screw nuts on so I am thinking of a push on off approach. I am not convinced of this just thinking out loud with you guys

attachment.php

16150=10887-clip.JPG]
16150=10887-clip.JPG

3dbandit

100cc
Sounds good to me.

I don't see any reason it couldn't work. The force needed to shear a pin is higher than the standard nylon bolts commonly used on 50cc planes.

siko_flyer

70cc twin V2
Only problem I can think of is there might be some side to side play.The bolts are meant to pull the wing tight against the fuse. If you get the pin holes drilled close to not have any play they may also be a pita to install.Then again a little bit of play may be a non issue, I'm not really sure.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

My concerns as well Jeff. I found some smaller head screws that will work with my bonded washers and uses a smaller hex wrench so that should help in the tight space

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I had difficulty installing the 1/4-20 nylon bolts on my H9 Sukhoi, particularly the front set. My big hands just didn't have room. I glued a 1/4-20 screw into the blind nut in the wing and cut the head off. Now all I have to do is reach in and spin a 1/4-20 wing nut on it from the inside. It has worked well for 900+ flights.