• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Which airplane for my next step to aerobatics?

The first question is what is your preference between gas and electric. Having to buy the charging setup for a 70" plane can be pretty daunting with power supply, charger, and $100+ battery packs. Gas has the down fall of being much harder to setup and tune.

My first real 3D plane was a 71" slick electric and it quickly got it's landing gear plate ripped out and sat around for the season till I got a friend to fix it. My next one was a EF 60" edge and that thing was wonderful and I only sold it because the scheme is tough in overcast to see.

I just went through this exercise with a guy coming from EDFs and jets and Tyler and I talked him into the Red/White/Blue EF 60" Edge as it is the best slow flying and durable of the 60" class airframes. That airframe has a proven track record for low experience 3D pilots.

I have heard good things about the Aerobeez 71" Extra and looks are a big part of this hobby and bigger truly does fly better.

If you want to go the foamy route, get a twisted hobbies 32" MXS-C and just fly around in your yard or the local park to learn the stick movements for a lot of the tricks. You can fly 2s in small spaces and 3s in larger area for ludicrous power on a 8x4D prop. After 50 or so crashes and a couple of tubes of welders glue you can just spend the $80 and get another airframe.