• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Yippee! What the postman brought

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I've ordered my first 120cc and keep thinking "what am I doing?!" LOL. But with NWRC leaving the west coast I kind of felt like it was now or maybe never. Got a 104" Skywing Extra NG in R/W/B scheme. I just love how their products assemble and after thinking about getting an extreme flight or another skywing I just thought I'd be very happy with that purchase.
With that said, my 73" AJ Laser is still my favorite 35cc machine to fly, once it leaves the ground I feel at home with it. They make outstanding model airplanes, I was about two clicks from buying a 93 Laser and a 92 Raven until Tim at NWRC said he'd drop my planes off at Alaska Air Cargo for me in Seatac. Although I will say Tim at AJ also said he'd be willing to drive to Aircargo in Michigan for me... but the numbers didn't look as good at that time. Both Tims are exceptional people for our hobby.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I've ordered my first 120cc and keep thinking "what am I doing?!" LOL. But with NWRC leaving the west coast I kind of felt like it was now or maybe never. Got a 104" Skywing Extra NG in R/W/B scheme. I just love how their products assemble and after thinking about getting an extreme flight or another skywing I just thought I'd be very happy with that purchase.
With that said, my 73" AJ Laser is still my favorite 35cc machine to fly, once it leaves the ground I feel at home with it. They make outstanding model airplanes, I was about two clicks from buying a 93 Laser and a 92 Raven until Tim at NWRC said he'd drop my planes off at Alaska Air Cargo for me in Seatac. Although I will say Tim at AJ also said he'd be willing to drive to Aircargo in Michigan for me... but the numbers didn't look as good at that time. Both Tims are exceptional people for our hobby.
Just wait till it shows up and you pull it out of the box and set it down on the workbench. My workbench is to high I have to put the plane down on the floor. The thing that is so misleading is when you look at the plane at the field it does not look that big, but in the house in your work shop it is huge.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok I just have to give you the long story sorry. Got a message from a friend that a person had ordered a container full of RC stuff from China and was opening the container up and everything was for sale. So guess what I showed up. The container was opened up in a warehouse and everything was laid out for sale sail. So I ended up with a 20cc Sky-wing it was Orange and dark grey, my favourite colours. Just what I needed another plane but I just could not put it back down. So it went home with me. Good deal also did not help.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Ok I just have to give you the long story sorry. Got a message from a friend that a person had ordered a container full of RC stuff from China and was opening the container up and everything was for sale. So guess what I showed up. The container was opened up in a warehouse and everything was laid out for sale sail. So I ended up with a 20cc Sky-wing it was Orange and dark grey, my favourite colours. Just what I needed another plane but I just could not put it back down. So it went home with me. Good deal also did not help.
:woohoo!:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
g it was Orange and dark grey
Excellent!!! Must have been the 67" ARS 300?

I was going to buy a spare 91" ARS 300 but decided I should up my game and get a 120cc.
I'm nervous to bring THEM home (yeaup, I gone done it)... Also got a 104" EF Extra 300 V3 RYB!! Spoiled myself rotten. I'm nervous that my wife will love me less when she sees how big they are EEK!

I'll let you guys in on my secret (as mentioned before). Tim has been so so so kind to me. He'd drive my planes up to AirCargo in SEATAC for zero charge to me. He could have said no, he could have charged me a shipping fee - he refused EVERY time I've offered. My airline discount brings a boxed 90-100" plane into my arms for 20-30 bucks... (This is only out of SEATAC because it's a non passenger jet and a direct flight).
Since Tim is closing his NWRC doors (essentially in March) to work full time as an extreme flight manager in Georgia, This was essentially my last opportunity to "stock up" as their is only two containers left showing up to NWRC in Feb. His move makes me sad, but I have been blessed to utilize Tim while he was in Washington. Bitter sweet no doubt.

With that said, I need to figure out which 104" to build. Thinking I'll go with the Skywing, and store the other one for a bit to let the wallet recover.
104ExtraNG.jpg104v2ryhover.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick
Yes you got it right that is the one beautiful plane it is complete. Probably the best ARF I have purchased up to now.
Two planes at once you are really pushing the limits. Remember you only live once. Have fun.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick
Hi Nick need some help if you look at the picture you should recognize it. It is one of your air deflectors. It is sitting on my AJ Laser 115. Unfortunately it is to small. Need one that is 28% bigger. The one on the cowl is 90 mm across the opening it needs to be about 160 mm wide to fit and look correct. Can you help in any way please.

Attachments

• 417413EA-7FA6-4E78-A958-3A18AEB15085.jpeg
    417413EA-7FA6-4E78-A958-3A18AEB15085.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 130

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
@AKNick
Hi Nick need some help if you look at the picture you should recognize it. It is one of your air deflectors. It is sitting on my AJ Laser 115. Unfortunately it is to small. Need one that is 28% bigger. The one on the cowl is 90 mm across the opening it needs to be about 160 mm wide to fit and look correct. Can you help in any way please.

I could remake one in CAD. 160mm wide x _____mm deep? How high do you want the lip? Holes in the flange OK? Sketch it on paper and I'll mimic it in CAD.
Personally, I like a shorter lip (maybe 10mm) with a steeper angle.
I've been wondering if a more U or W shaped design would be better as well. We don't want the air going around the cowl after all. You can always cut out your opening and use craft foam as well.9B90BF98-3FC9-472C-82CF-29A9CD723499.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I could remake one in CAD. 160mm wide x _____mm deep? How high do you want the lip? Holes in the flange OK? Sketch it on paper and I'll mimic it in CAD.
Personally, I like a shorter lip (maybe 10mm) with a steeper angle.
I've been wondering if a more U or W shaped design would be better as well. We don't want the air going around the cowl after all. You can always cut out your opening and use craft foam as well.View attachment 120516
Ok Nick measured the cowl and the angle of the cowl and it drops 16mm. Plus to make sure the air does not deflect into the back of the cowl we need to be 7 degrees above the lip. So that means the front hight needs to be 27mm. See drawing. The design you did is perfect, the flange and the holes are correct I have a bunch of tiny screws that fit existing design. Hope this all makes sense.
Not knowledgeable enough to make a call on the W shape, the U shape makes sense but the sides of the U will have to be so that the air does not wrap around on sides and tucks back into the opening, this not good, if does you end up pressurizing the cowl instead of drawing air out.

Attachments

• BEFDF0CA-ACC0-4041-9E20-FAC9A7345F71.jpeg
    BEFDF0CA-ACC0-4041-9E20-FAC9A7345F71.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok Nick measured the cowl and the angle of the cowl and it drops 16mm. Plus to make sure the air does not deflect into the back of the cowl we need to be 7 degrees above the lip. So that means the front hight needs to be 27mm. See drawing. The design you did is perfect, the flange and the holes are correct I have a bunch of tiny screws that fit existing design. Hope this all makes sense.
Not knowledgeable enough to make a call on the W shape, the U shape makes sense but the sides of the U will have to be so that the air does not wrap around on sides and tucks back into the opening, this not good, if does you end up pressurizing the cowl instead of drawing air out.

I can make your drawing no problem. My 2 cents; The height and angles are all relative to the planes attitude in flight. The appearance of the model will change a bit along with the added drag possibly. The idea of creating the low pressure without inducing a back eddy is hard to visualize unless it's a series of stepped louvers - not forgetting the cowl inlets are also pushing air out.
As far as my idea about the soft W shape is that it collects the air and lofts it in the center without giving it much opertunity to go around the obstruction which would eliminate the purpose in it's entirety. Of course this is all subject to the planes attitude.
It would be cool if the airplane manufactures started adding louvers to the sides of the cowling. Oh I can dream! Fun to get my brain working and thinking about these things.

Let me work on the drawing you sent! nuff talk!