• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What 3D Champion Fly's What?

AKfreak

150cc
A silly title right. When looking for the actual type of plane the top flyers use its hard to find much information in a single place. I am kind of new to this stuff, and I am very interested in what make of plane the top guys are using for 3D. I see a lot of guys fly the Extra. What makes the Extra such a great 3D plane. Looking at the the real planes, the MXS seems to be the up-and-com·ing plane to beat (red bull air races). So my questions is , What 3D Champion Fly's What? Do any of you guys travel the RC/Aero/3D circuit, ie Tucson, Nall, Huckfest, ect.. If so what are the hot pilots flyng?

In the end, I am looking for information that can lead me to the best 3D plane design. I understand some of the differences in precision aerobatic and a 3D plane. I am more after a 3D monster that flys exceptionally well in post stall, that is kind of short coupled so it can tumble well, than lands easy in a full stall landings (I don't like to land hot).

I cant wait to hear what you guys have to say. AKf

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
This is an interesting topic. The answer isn't simple so it will likely come down to a bunch of opinions. The model the plane is patterned after makes a difference, but the way the modeling company tweaked it matters more. You will find that an extra is not an extra, an edge is not an edge, etc. They way the designers put them together makes the biggest difference in terms of strength and flying characteristics.

Pretty much all of the major brands have planes that fly well enough that a top pilot could fly it in competition and score well.

What size of plane are you looking for?

AKfreak

150cc
I am looking at and have almost clicked buy 3 times in the last 3 hours a 73.5" SU-26m by goldwing Link here I am also so tempted to buy the 75" MSXR Link here I am leaning heavy to the Su-26M but I don't see any of these planes in competition of the serious pilots. That leads me to believe their might be some shortcomings to this style of plane.

3dNater

Any of the round bottom planes are going to have issues post-stall. Some manufacturers have done a good job of addressing this but I don't know about the goldwing model. The MSXR is a racing plane built for speed. You could probably 3d it but it is not going to be a "3d monster." From the examples you mentioned I am assuming your are looking for a "budget" airframe. I just got the 74" slick from Aerobeez and like it so far with a DLE 35 but it seems to be more geared toward precision, although it does 3d very well. I don't think it is going to be capable of the wild tumbles. I hear good things about the Aerobeez extra from [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION]. He told me that it flies as well as the 3dhs extra but is a lot less expensive.

Redwing has recently come out with some nice 25% 3d options as well. If it were me I would pass on both the su-26 and the MSXR in favor of an extra, slick, velox, or one of the new lasers if you are really wanting a 3d monster.

I hope this helps. I'm sure there will be others chiming in with their opinions soon.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Any of the round bottom planes are going to have issues post-stall. Some manufacturers have done a good job of addressing this but I don't know about the goldwing model. The MSXR is a racing plane built for speed. You could probably 3d it but it is not going to be a "3d monster." From the examples you mentioned I am assuming your are looking for a "budget" airframe. I just got the 74" slick from Aerobeez and like it so far with a DLE 35 but it seems to be more geared toward precision, although it does 3d very well. I don't think it is going to be capable of the wild tumbles. I hear good things about the Aerobeez extra from @GYRO. He told me that it flies as well as the 3dhs extra but is a lot less expensive.

Redwing has recently come out with some nice 25% 3d options as well. If it were me I would pass on both the su-26 and the MSXR in favor of an extra, slick, velox, or one of the new lasers if you are really wanting a 3d monster.

I hope this helps. I'm sure there will be others chiming in with their opinions soon.

The above advice is good. For 3D planes, you want something that can be floaty when you want it, but accelerate and hit some high energy too. Extras and Edges are really good at this, Lasers seem to be a pinch more towards precision.

The Aerobeez 71" Extra is nice. It's got very low wing loading, and can still wad up nicely in the tumbles. It's a very different airplane from the 3dhs Extra, two totally different designs, but flight performance is similar.

From what I've seen in the competitions, the most successful airframes are derivatives of the Extra and the Edge.

AKfreak

150cc
I appreciate what you guys are saying. It makes a lot do sense. I am really struggling with that SU-26.. I want it so bad. I have been chomping at the bit for weeks.

I just don't know what to do now.

3dNater

I appreciate what you guys are saying. It makes a lot do sense. I am really struggling with that SU-26.. I want it so bad. I have been chomping at the bit for weeks.

I just don't know what to do now.

It's your money :) buy what you want. Just go I to it realizing that you have conflicting desires. You are set in a certain plane but it isn't going to perform to the high level you are wanting it to. It would be a great sport flyer that can do a little 3d. It just isn't going to be a 3d monster. Maybe you should get an su-26 foamie and spend the real cash on a plane that flies really nice.

I too would like to have a nice Sukhoi, but not a single one has even been described to me as a good 3D plane. Most of the general hobby planes are recycled older designs, with maybe a new scheme. For example, their Ravens appear identical to the EG ones I had 2 years ago. This is why they are in the budget category.

The new 2.2M Sukhoi 29 from Sebart looks promising, but it is very expensive.

If you absolutely need a round cowl plane, look at the Hangar 9 Inverza. Bit on the heavy side, but H9 quality is very high. I measured the elevator surface area and it is very close to the 71 slick I own.

I had a pilot Yak 54 in this size and it was slanted to the precision side. Not aggressive enough for my tastes.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I too would like to have a nice Sukhoi, but not a single one has even been described to me as a good 3D plane. Most of the general hobby planes are recycled older designs, with maybe a new scheme. For example, their Ravens appear identical to the EG ones I had 2 years ago. This is why they are in the budget category.

The new 2.2M Sukhoi 29 from Sebart looks promising, but it is very expensive.

If you absolutely need a round cowl plane, look at the Hangar 9 Inverza. Bit on the heavy side, but H9 quality is very high. I measured the elevator surface area and it is very close to the 71 slick I own.

I had a pilot Yak 54 in this size and it was slanted to the precision side. Not aggressive enough for my tastes.

I saw a Juka posted on Facebook by Redwing... That one might be a player in the community once it's released.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394509528.613949.jpg

AKfreak

150cc
Can the amount of wing area determine is somthing is going to be good for Post stall flight? I am sue it is a balance between several factors, so how much does wing area with how "floaty" a plane is?

I have watched a few videos, and what do you think if this one. He is in post stall and to my untrained eye, it looks kind of floaty. What is you opinion http://youtu.be/6S8N-JAMY5A [video=youtube_share;6S8N-JAMY5A]http://youtu.be/6S8N-JAMY5A[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: