• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

TonyHallo

150cc
Completed the final two molds for this mold building season. Wil lay up the main gear pants at my leisure after wax on, wax off.

IMG_3097.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Had a lot of time waiting for the cement to dry while taping the aileron for the Champ so I got the mold waxed for the main gear. For mounting the main pants, the 1/4" axle goes through the side near the strut and extends all the way over to the opposite side where a 1/4" plywood plate is installed and drilled to receive the axle. This provides support on both sides. Normally these plates are added to the commercial pants while working through wheel opening. Now I have the opportunity to install these plates before closing the mold. A 1/8" plywood plate is installed on the strut side and the 1/4" thick plate is installed on the opposite side. The plates were sanded down on 45 degree angle around the perimeter to provide a smooth transition for the KEVLAR that also covers the plates. The plates were set in a bed of epoxy and colloidal silica, thenthe KEVLAR was installed on top, then the mold was closed final glassing. The pant is laid up with 1 layer of 2 ounce, 1 layer of 4 ounce cloth, and 1 layer of 6 ounce KEVLAR.

IMG_3103.jpg
IMG_3104.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Pulled the pant this morning. The mold half was leveled using three 1/4"-20 screws at the parting surface, this provided a drill jig to drill the 1/4" holes for the axle. I was relying on the drill depth gauge on the drill press and it is either off or I don't how to use it, went a little too deep! No big deal, it can be repaired but now I'll need to wax it again. All in all it worked great since there are no flat surfaces on these pants.

IMG_3108.jpg
IMG_3109.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Decided to lay up the left pant using jointing tape rather than the overlap method. The 2 ounce and 4 ounce cloth was laid up and trimmed while green to the top of the parting line. The KELVAR was cut just below the parting line and laid up using peel ply, mounting hard points installed and ready to close the mold. The peel ply does make a nice finish.

IMG_3135.jpg