• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

tylerzx9r

100cc
Nice! Wish I would have known about some of these tricks and tips earlier in R/C life, I might have leaned more towards building back then!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
There you guy's go embarrassing me again. I am a very picky builder but nothing I do is rocket science, anyone can do it. I'm out of town for a couple of days but should be back working on stuff tomorrow night.

After a little more sanding the canopy was done and ready to a base coat of primer that may or may not show more areas that I need to work on. I decided to put some fine-line masking on the canopy where I am proposing the canopy shell be painted up to. I like to do this and look at it a few times to make sure I'm happy before I commit.

Then I started the hinging. For tonight I just got started and had to leave for the day but will pick it up this weekend. For hinges I bought a robart hinge pin jig and modified it with a piece of plywood. You can do this with a simple square but I had to get fancy with the laser. Basically you just need a hole in the middle that the insert threads into and then two holes equally spaced from the center with dowels of some sort.

I like to double hinge the ends with the first hinge about 3/4" from the end and then 1" space to the second hinge. Then equally space the hinges as you see fit on the rest. I mark the location with a sharpy and then use a hobby knife to cut a small V just the width of the marker. This will allow your drill bit to center on the mark that you made. Drill the holes, insert a hinge and work it back and forth to give it some clearance. Then test fit the control surface. On the rudder the lower hinges need to have blocks installed on the inside of the fuse for the hinges to glue into.
View attachment 6898
Looking real good Terry