• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Cool Jetpainter, I'm curious what you are doing to that "Jug" cowl for your scratch build. I hope you will show us!

The LAW is CNC'ing up some control horns and I cut the wood blocks for them. I'd like to sell these as a kit separately, and have actually already sold a few kits to people. Maybe, just maybe I'll include a kit with the first few Vipers sold;)View attachment 1964
Preeeeetyyy...... May have to buy one of your designs just to get the really cool stuff to go with it. :yesss:

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
Cool Jetpainter, I'm curious what you are doing to that "Jug" cowl for your scratch build. I hope you will show us!

The LAW is CNC'ing up some control horns and I cut the wood blocks for them. I'd like to sell these as a kit separately, and have actually already sold a few kits to people. Maybe, just maybe I'll include a kit with the first few Vipers sold;)View attachment 1964
YA! I bought some of those. They are real nice in person too. I missed out on the cool rudder horn for the steering tho

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
YA! I bought some of those. They are real nice in person too. I missed out on the cool rudder horn for the steering tho

Crap, I know I was switching over to the black material and maybe did not have those set up yet. I'll drop one in the mail for you but won't be back til Monday. I still have your address.

- So for the control horns there are seven sets for four ailerons, two elevators and one rudder. The Viper is designed to balance and work well with a single rudder servo.....especially on a plane this size. A single 7950, Savox 1270 or Savox 1230 works very nice. If you should build one and want dual servos, I can always send off another couple for the other side. The fuse has been structurally braced to also handle the torque of a single servo, and has proven to hold up well.

- There are three sizes of the horns. The longest ones go on the rudder, the middle ones go on the elevators and OUTSIDE ailerons and the shortest ones go on the INSIDE ailerons. They are calculated so that they need very little balancing on the ailerons, but please don't forget to balance them.

- The boxes are simple and I will illustrate those getting installed in a week or two. They are simply glued into the surfaces with quite gorilla glue (the quick stuff), then sanded flush and hinge stock is installed AFTER that. Once the hinge stock is installed the blocks get hardened with thin FOAM SAFE CA glue. Once everything is covered the horns are installed with epoxy just like you would on an ARF.
_DSC0231.JPG

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
Hey thanks Terry! The good thing about selling viper kits now, is you already have the instructions pretty much done. This is probably the most detailed build I have ever seen

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I would love to give you some heat about how long it would take you to build a kit since you've been working on an ARF for a year......but I won't because your plane is so sexy so we'll wait and watch with awe;)

But if you did build a kit it would be a work of art for sure!

Now the tailwheel, IMHO the best option available is the J&J wheels with the metal spring. White Rose is a close second choice, but depending on your flying style I strongly recommend the metal spring. They will last a lifetime and are worth the money.

J&J has since converted their straps to metal but I had one with the old plastic straps so I thought I'd show how to keep them from breaking. The front one (closest to the elbow) needs to have a metal strap applied to it. This can be made from something as simple as a beer can. I used some .040 aluminum sheet, and it only takes about two minutes to make them. Cust a strip and use some hand clamps to "pull" the aluminum over the plastic keeper. Trim and sand the edges, drill a couple holes and done. This can also be done on a tailwheel where you may have misplaced the straps.

It has been a few days since I looked at this thread, as fast as you work a lot happens. You could give a clinic on tailwheel setup and installation. I appreciate describing how easy it is to make your own metal straps, as you stated we now supply metal ones, but depending on the installation, making your own may still be the best option.

Great Work!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I just used the center of the opening that gets cut away as a guinea pig to test the Spies spray poly. Other than that I've done nothing to the cowl but stare at it, and complain about how much I don't like it. It's kind of misshapen. Hey Rick, can you do a Top Flite giant scale P-47 cowl?
Doug