• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Trailer Alarm, and more...

If your trailer has brakes it should be pretty easy to install a relay powered by the alarm activation like for flashing lights or horn and wire it in via a relay to the brakes.

sweetpea

100cc
Yep...all of this is accomplished with car alarms. They generally use pin switches for doors or if your doors are connected to interior lights the battery drain can be senseed. And can make lights flash if you have a battery in the trailer

But cool on making your own. I'd like to know the cost savings!

FWIW I converted a car alarm to my motorcycle years ago. This wouldn't be any more complicated

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Sure, car alarm will work fine...

But, this will be so much more 'featured' and so much cooler than a simple car alarm... ;) and probably, less money... I hope :)

I started this little alarm project more than a year ago. Had an air conditioning unit stolen from my office building. The middle of the summer... really ticked me off. So, I started looking for options to put an alarm on the outside A/C units. There are commercially available alarms, but they are both expensive and frankly pretty ineffective. Most of them did not even trigger until the bad guy already was in contact with the unit. I want to keep the bad guy back a respectful distance from my stuff...

So, not finding anything I thought appropriate, I decided I would just make my own. Now, more than a year later, I'm looking at my trailer and it occurs to me this little alarm will also work awesome for the trailer.

What I have so far, that I am adapting to my trailer.
All of these components, or nodes, talk to each other with the on board radio.

1 - An alarm "node" that will go inside the trailer. (motion activated) Has LED lights and a siren.
2 - An alarm "node" or two, that can be placed outside the trailer (motion activated), More LED lights and sirens
3 - A switch "node" that can switch on/off 110V AC circuits for spot lights, etc. (responds to the alarm nodes)
4 - An inside monitoring station where you can turn the nodes on or off and be notified of an alarm. LED's tell you which nodes are activated or not.
5 - An outside 'node' with RFID to let the lawn care guy turn everything off for an hour or so...

The PIR motion sensor I get on ebay for about $1.00 each... the same with the siren, get them on ebay for a few dollars

together1.png

The two boards ( one with the micro controller and the radio, the second board has the LED's and the mosfet switches ) are attached with aligned headers.

switch.png

This is the board that switches on/off the A/C lines.. radio is in the lower left corner with a short wire antenna attached. Because of the radio and it's range (up to 100 yards or more) you can switch things on that are beyond the reach of a simple motion light.

siren.png switch.png together1.png together.png rfm12B_1.png

Bipeguy03

150cc
Sure, car alarm will work fine...

But, this will be so much more 'featured' and so much cooler than a simple car alarm... ;) and probably, less money... I hope :)

I started this little alarm project more than a year ago. Had an air conditioning unit stolen from my office building. The middle of the summer... really ticked me off. So, I started looking for options to put an alarm on the outside A/C units. There are commercially available alarms, but they are both expensive and frankly pretty ineffective. Most of them did not even trigger until the bad guy already was in contact with the unit. I want to keep the bad guy back a respectful distance from my stuff...

So, not finding anything I thought appropriate, I decided I would just make my own. Now, more than a year later, I'm looking at my trailer and it occurs to me this little alarm will also work awesome for the trailer.

What I have so far, that I am adapting to my trailer.
All of these components, or nodes, talk to each other with the on board radio.

1 - An alarm "node" that will go inside the trailer. (motion activated) Has LED lights and a siren.
2 - An alarm "node" or two, that can be placed outside the trailer (motion activated), More LED lights and sirens
3 - A switch "node" that can switch on/off 110V AC circuits for spot lights, etc. (responds to the alarm nodes)
4 - An inside monitoring station where you can turn the nodes on or off and be notified of an alarm. LED's tell you which nodes are activated or not.
5 - An outside 'node' with RFID to let the lawn care guy turn everything off for an hour or so...

The PIR motion sensor I get on ebay for about $1.00 each... the same with the siren, get them on ebay for a few dollars

View attachment 32026

The two boards ( one with the micro controller and the radio, the second board has the LED's and the mosfet switches ) are attached with aligned headers.

View attachment 32025

This is the board that switches on/off the A/C lines.. radio is in the lower left corner with a short wire antenna attached. Because of the radio and it's range (up to 100 yards or more) you can switch things on that are beyond the reach of a simple motion light.

View attachment 32024 View attachment 32025 View attachment 32026 View attachment 32027 View attachment 32028

I'm kinda really digging this!

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Waiting on a couple of parts before I can install the alarm 'node' into the trailer.

Will post some info/pictures on the monitoring station tonight.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
I cut the face plates for the 'inside the trailer' alarm... the one on the left will house the PIR motion sensor and the flashing LED's... the one on the right covers the actual siren and the 'key' on/off switch. Carbon fiber faced acrylic... looks nice :)

plates3.jpg

plates4.jpg