• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Tips for Attaching Sensors to Engine Cooling Fins

(I wasn't sure if this should go in telemetry forum, or engine forum - I settled on engines as it's really a question about how to attach things to engine cooling fins).

I have a temperature sensor I would like to attach to the cooling fins on my DA120. It has a lasso loop (see pic), but I can't get this tight enough to hold the sensor still once the engine is running - it slips around getting tangled up. So, I'd like to fix the sensor in place using an appropriate "glue" of some kind.

Has anyone got on tips on the best way to stick something like this on please? I was thinking maybe small blob of high-temp gasket sealant (copper RTV) on the wire/fin? Ideally I'd like the glue to be fairly easily removable in the future.

Cheers.

JetiDuplexMT300temperaturesensor_20_10_124.jpg

thurmma

150cc
Could you just put a piece of heat shrink over the cable and then synch it down to the head where you want it and shrink the tubing? I think that would hold it in place.

Could you just put a piece of heat shrink over the cable and then synch it down to the head where you want it and shrink the tubing? I think that would hold it in place.

Unfortunately the unit (at Jeti MT300) is supplied as a loop with both ends attach to a PCB. The sensor is soldered line and is about 10mm long, it can't really be safely bent enough to slip a small enough diameter piece of heat-shrink without risk of damage to sensor. Hope that makes sense?!

Alky6

150cc
You could try putting a piece of silicon fuel tubing over the wire to make a tight fit between the fins. Further, don't wrap the cylinder, just push the sensor piece in with the fuel tubing on the wire behind it (so if your fins are 1/2" deep you only insert the sensor in 1/2"). Use a zip tie on the tubing to pinch it to the wire. Push into fins until sensor remains in contact with head. With the length of the sensor, you will have a small loop between the sensor and where the silicon is on the wire which should hold some pressure on the sensor to the head. Could draw a picture if necessary.

@Alky6 - I see what you're saying. Some kind of jam between the fins is a workable solution as long as am cautious not to restrict airflow through fins. The sensor is, after all going on the hottest part of the cylinder (rear face, by exhaust port).

I'd still like to know if anyone has any "glue" solutions as these still seem very viable. Anyone?

Raven

30cc
Drop some high temp copper rtv silicone in between the fins, and gently squeeze the sensor into the silicone. Do not disturb it while it cures. Once dry, the sensor will be held in place.

Last edited:

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Drill a hole in one of the fins, slide the sensor loop in like a thread to a eye of a needle , secure it with silicone or a cleave.