• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
You guys are all wrong, what you do is buy a new popular brand 120cc twin (not DA or 3W) mount it in your airplane with no baffling, don't tune on it, fly it at full throttle and dead stick it every flight until it breaks the crank. Then get another one and on the first flight run it lean as hell and wide open the whole flight until it locks up. Then get a third one, fly it once, dead stick it, and then not be able to keep it running after the first flight.
I want to help this guy, because he is a nice guy, but he doesn't ask and the few times I've offered, the damage was already done and I was diagnosing broken parts.

Some people just can't be helped. :confused:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I blame it on Terry Wiles, the guy has many tricks up his sleeve. You should see how many sheets of the stuff I keep around, not to mention dental syringes, childrens cotton socks, tubes of red RTV, carbon tubes/4-40 rod, and other little miscellaneous things here and there- all just to build airplanes :omg::cool:

Baffling these smaller 2 cycle engines doesn't need to have overly extensive baffling like the full scale engines. If you can force air right up to the front of the cylinder heads then enough air will glide past the cooling fins to keep the heat down. Some of my friends get overly extensive and wrap their baffling completely around the cylinder head, but I go with what has worked well for me and my friends to keep it simple.

Children’s socks!?!? Tell me more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Children’s socks!?!? Tell me more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the small cotton ones with a strip of one-wrap, slip it over your covering iron, then secure the sock to the handle with the one-wrap and you now have an instant iron sock :)

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
You guys are all wrong, what you do is buy a new popular brand 120cc twin (not DA or 3W) mount it in your airplane with no baffling, don't tune on it, fly it at full throttle and dead stick it every flight until it breaks the crank. Then get another one and on the first flight run it lean as hell and wide open the whole flight until it locks up. Then get a third one, fly it once, dead stick it, and then not be able to keep it running after the first flight.
I want to help this guy, because he is a nice guy, but he doesn't ask and the few times I've offered, the damage was already done and I was diagnosing broken parts.
I have found that these type of individuals need to be left alone for the most part and let them learn the hard way. If it cost them enough they might eventually come around. The best you can do is try to influence them as much as you can to accept help, but other than that there is not much you will ever do.

I know one guy that I have tried to help and almost every step along the way he has chosen the wrong path and it cost him each time. I think he is getting slightly better and I have seen some improvement. Some just lack patience and are too anxious - some call it pure stubbornness.

Those that have experience pay it forward because they want to save the other person hardship. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't you best call it and move on.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have seen a couple like this over years not that bad but I have come to the conclusion they cannot be helped. It is best to stand back and be quite and enjoy the show.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I have found that these type of individuals need to be left alone for the most part and let them learn the hard way. If it cost them enough they might eventually come around. The best you can do is try to influence them as much as you can to accept help, but other than that there is not much you will ever do.

I know one guy that I have tried to help and almost every step along the way he has chosen the wrong path and it cost him each time. I think he is getting slightly better and I have seen some improvement. Some just lack patience and are too anxious - some call it pure stubbornness.

Those that have experience pay it forward because they want to save the other person hardship. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't you best call it and move on.

I have to agree with all said here. And it is not just the engines but the whole concept of RC flight. Stubborn is the correct adjective at play here. I have seen people who have the desire and skill sets but fail miserably because they think they do not need help. And those who are challenged and do need help fail hard because they are stubborn. And then since they can't fly decide to control the operation of the club/flying site! WTF?. And it is the older fellas doing this. Why people think their age buys them privilege is beyond me :concern:. Never have I seen a young person get stubborn during the learning curve of RC but boy they get real stubborn when asked to clean up after themselves.
Just ask any one with kids lol.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have to agree with all said here. And it is not just the engines but the whole concept of RC flight. Stubborn is the correct adjective at play here. I have seen people who have the desire and skill sets but fail miserably because they think they do not need help. And those who are challenged and do need help fail hard because they are stubborn. And then since they can't fly decide to control the operation of the club/flying site! WTF?. And it is the older fellas doing this. Why people think their age buys them privilege is beyond me :concern:. Never have I seen a young person get stubborn during the learning curve of RC but boy they get real stubborn when asked to clean up after themselves.
Just ask any one with kids lol.
That’s what parents are for ask any kid they only get it after they are married or have kids.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
It sure is fine and dandy to have RC buddies who's shops don't just produce model planes...........My long time friend also fixes model plane haulers:fist_pump:.

Attachments

• oops.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 189