• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Many moons ago when I last ran my Traxxas Revo 3.3 I got fed up with it because it wouldn't hold its tune and never idled worth a damn. Plus it always took forever to start with the "EZ" (yeah right..) start system. I attributed this to low cranking speed and not getting enough heat in the glow plug, and possible air leaks when it was running. So last night I received my Sullivan Tigerdrive unit in the mail and set about getting it installed to the engine, as well as work on sealing up all possible areas that could leak with red RTV.

35296481_10217522581283337_3892883251001294848_o.jpg
35349016_10217522579763299_2547943972022517760_o.jpg

Took roughly an hour to get everything done, but once it was in I set about trying to get the engine to fire. I had a Hobbico deluxe 180 12v starter that I bought a starting wand for, hooked it up and stuck a glow driver in the top of the engine and within seconds this engine was roaring to life. The cranking speed is probably 3x as fast as before and there wasn't a need to plug the exhaust tip to get fuel to push to the carb. Plus, the glow driver is making the plug glow nice and hot, compared to an orange glow before. Ontop of all this, the engine actually idled smoothly and ran like a top- I've never seen one of these TRX engines run so well! Now I'm looking forward to actually playing with this truck more instead of just letting it sit and collect dust from a tuning nightmare. Also, the unit freespools when the engine is running which I believe causes less drag than the EZ starter, making the engine idle smoother.

Actually, I'm thinking my T-MaxX might need one of these starters too...

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Many moons ago when I last ran my Traxxas Revo 3.3 I got fed up with it because it wouldn't hold its tune and never idled worth a damn. Plus it always took forever to start with the "EZ" (yeah right..) start system. I attributed this to low cranking speed and not getting enough heat in the glow plug, and possible air leaks when it was running. So last night I received my Sullivan Tigerdrive unit in the mail and set about getting it installed to the engine, as well as work on sealing up all possible areas that could leak with red RTV.

View attachment 103851 View attachment 103852

Took roughly an hour to get everything done, but once it was in I set about trying to get the engine to fire. I had a Hobbico deluxe 180 12v starter that I bought a starting wand for, hooked it up and stuck a glow driver in the top of the engine and within seconds this engine was roaring to life. The cranking speed is probably 3x as fast as before and there wasn't a need to plug the exhaust tip to get fuel to push to the carb. Plus, the glow driver is making the plug glow nice and hot, compared to an orange glow before. Ontop of all this, the engine actually idled smoothly and ran like a top- I've never seen one of these TRX engines run so well! Now I'm looking forward to actually playing with this truck more instead of just letting it sit and collect dust from a tuning nightmare. Also, the unit freespools when the engine is running which I believe causes less drag than the EZ starter, making the engine idle smoother.

Actually, I'm thinking my T-MaxX might need one of these starters too...

I used to have a worn out TMAXX with the 3.3, I broke it every time it went out, it sat for a while, and gave it to somebody else for a song. I've never hear of a tiger drive, sounds like it was just the ticket to make rip roaring around more fun.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I used to have a worn out TMAXX with the 3.3, I broke it every time it went out, it sat for a while, and gave it to somebody else for a song. I've never hear of a tiger drive, sounds like it was just the ticket to make rip roaring around more fun.

I have an older 2.5 TMAXX that I got for free at work in pretty rough shape. Filthy, carb was broken and leaking, engine was so gummed up it wouldn't turn over, air filter was destroyed, etc.. Of course I'm real good at making stuff like factory new when it comes to these things and after a couple days of work I had the truck looking almost shiny new again, and got the engine free'd up and running. It runs exactly the same as the 3.3 does, even with a new carb and filter, so it will need to get the sealing treatment and will get a tigerdrive, after which I'm certain it will also run very good.

20170212_154427.jpg
20170219_174309.jpg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
So would you consider that a body lift? :laughing:

A 1/5 truck has been on my radar for a while. Just don't want to slap the coin down on one when I'd rather put it towards more airplanes. My feeble inventory of 38 airplanes is dwindling... :oblong:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
So would you consider that a body lift? :laughing:
You betcha.:yesss:
I loath the low rider body style especially when it is called a monster truck. I have had it for a couple years and not broke the first part yet, they are extremely tuff. I have had all the variations of the TMAX and spent more in parts and such than the truck, plus I can't stand the smell of Nitro...

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I took a break from my biplane to build my Father’s Day present (Told the wife I was getting it for my present and she concurred). It is a Defiant 28. It’s a foam FPV wing with a 28” wingspan. It uses the same motor as the quads along with the same FPV gear. So it is a rather economical airplane if you have the rest of the gear in spare parts.
8a926a0f96a1a9e8c6a669e5f7223bc1.heic
c75c64928b7950ae87cfb21072bcd3a7.heic
2ea5f4333f1fcb65d204ed34d3f8d646.heic
867670f87bc6d9ecfd7dcbe116718702.heic
4d76af591d0b8cccbbeb36b792b71fdc.heic