• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Finished the other wing! Turned out better than I anticipated.
Looked over the fuselage, found a wheel axel I had lying around to swap out the bent one. Gear looks good! Patched a couple stick holes in the Ultracote that didn’t hit any structure thank goodness.
LH elevator servo support glue joint failed, re glued it in place... I feel like the servo supports in the tail on extreme flight planes are pretty sub par to begin with I’ve noticed, they could improve that area in my opinion.
Although obviously my situation is different with this plane.
LH elevator tie down ply bracket were de bonding, so re glued those in place.
All I have left is to drill and balance a prop and fix a cowl some how.... at least oil proof it. I’ve never had much luck repairing a factory cowl. Any tips would be appreciated.
c86e206dca9f2076a3417481151426d3.jpg

7882ac9545798d4e6015421da89dc5f2.jpg

aaa6949e242d6843fdcbf7ae1a5e00af.jpg

d871be7101f5b59457b02411b5f2c0a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to fly it whilst waiting for the new cowl to arrive.......Just wick in some CA on the damaged areas. Use toilet paper to fill in larger holes and cracks. Use accelerator. Gently sand down rough areas. Wont look as bad as you think and it will get you in the air.
If color matters then just use red /white/ blue paint pens on those spots. They are inexpensive at Walmart.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
If you want to fly it whilst waiting for the new cowl to arrive.......Just wick in some CA on the damaged areas. Use toilet paper to fill in larger holes and cracks. Use accelerator. Gently sand down rough areas. Wont look as bad as you think and it will get you in the air.
If color matters then just use red /white/ blue paint pens on those spots. They are inexpensive at Walmart.

I’ve done CA before and thought it was too brittle. Interesting idea with the TP... never thought it would be a decent filler!
I ended up using some epoxy paste, we’ll see how it turns out.
My Walmart is vacant here.... closed doors quite a few years ago.
I have some sharpies that might do the trick

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Put this little guy together last night. There was a box of parts (ok, several dozen huge boxes..) that was set to be tossed out at work so I grabbed it and some spare parts for it. Believe it or not it had a brushed speed 400 motor, a 16 amp brushed ESC, and a 7 cell 850mah NiMH installed in it! 2 HS-55's were in the fuselage as well, so I dug out 2 more HS-55's to put in the wing and put it all together with a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC and a Himax HB2815-2000 inrunner that bolted right in place- it would've flown on the brushed combo, but not with aileron servos and it would be hand launch only, so those parts were pulled and set aside in favor of a brushless system. On a 2s 5000 pack (same weight as the stock 7 cell NiMH) and 7x4 propeller it should make about 150w of power, and I think I should get 20+ minutes of stick time out of a pack. Not bad for a little 4 channel airplane that's about 10 years old :)

35063617_10217486118011778_6230690725386780672_o.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Put this little guy together last night. There was a box of parts (ok, several dozen huge boxes..) that was set to be tossed out at work so I grabbed it and some spare parts for it. Believe it or not it had a brushed speed 400 motor, a 16 amp brushed ESC, and a 7 cell 850mah NiMH installed in it! 2 HS-55's were in the fuselage as well, so I dug out 2 more HS-55's to put in the wing and put it all together with a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC and a Himax HB2815-2000 inrunner that bolted right in place- it would've flown on the brushed combo, but not with aileron servos and it would be hand launch only, so those parts were pulled and set aside in favor of a brushless system. On a 2s 5000 pack (same weight as the stock 7 cell NiMH) and 7x4 propeller it should make about 150w of power, and I think I should get 20+ minutes of stick time out of a pack. Not bad for a little 4 channel airplane that's about 10 years old :)

View attachment 103758

AWESOME! You get promoted to product regressive development o_O.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Had to pull the motor on my CAP and send it in :(. I think one or both bearings loosened up causing power loss and vibration. Only 4 flights. I hope they don't take long because this plane is a pleasure to fly. I really need to get busy:dancing-chicken: and swap engines on the Alien since I'm now in the "Removed motors " mode :dancing-poop:. Not only can things change in an instant at the field but also in the shop! :cautious:.

Since the Cap is down for a bit I might paint the front cowl portion and wheel pants to make it a bit more custom. I got a bunch of yellow paint from a previous project (Yea, cub still not finished lol) :rolleyes:.

0611182128-00.jpg
0611182128-01.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Epoxy paste did the trick.
00d44ae999c5dd12fc32400321615992.jpg

Had some Top Flight Luster Cote white, duplicolor red, and some short cuts silver.
b82064f4b3a16f6ce8541da69dbc05d8.jpg

Ready to go!

That looks pretty good for quick fix. Got you back in the air quickly the match looks good or did you paint the hole cowl.