• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

I'm not a regular on GSN lately but do look in every once in a while. Title of the thread intrigued me so I thought I'd add to it.

I'm working on a scratch built 1/3 scale Austro Hungarian Albatros D-III. It's in the finishing stages. I'm scratch building off of pictures a 200 hp Austro Daimler engine for it. A kit is not available to my knowledge.

Last night I built the Exhaust stacks for the Engine.

Personally I miss your threads on here. You and terryscustoms where always working on something cool.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I didn't get this sleepy til after Chantix and before the bp meds.....maybe I'm depressed and don't know it LOL

Was not implying just sympathizing....Laughter is the best medicine :spongebob:.

If it were not for my starting line up each morning I might get more done. 3 of these make me very drowsey.

Attachments

• 0301181247-00.jpg
    0301181247-00.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 195

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Made a template and started making the parts for the engine air scoops last night. @Snoopy1 thanks for the complement. I'm just shooting for a decent "stand off" scale Cub. If I tried to do "Masters" type scaling I might be 6 feet under before it got done lol.

View attachment 102344 View attachment 102345 View attachment 102346 View attachment 102347
I just have tell you this story and it is true. On the main line at JoeNall a few years back mike and I had our canopy setup and just enjoying our selves. A person pulls up next to us and introduces home and explanes that he just came from Europe where he attended the world’s. So we were impressed. Anyway he brings out his plane and I must say it was absolutely immaculate, and every imaginable detail was on it. So anyway he flew the plane and we had some discussion about the plane. That evening he takes the plane apart and mike and I get up close and take a look we were both horrified the outside was perfect but inside was just a disaster things half glued balsa not finished and squared off everything just thrown in honestly you just could not belive, it reminds of the time when Jetpainter showed us that plane that had the weights welde on the front to balance. It was crazy but once the plane was all buttoned up it was just perfect.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I just have tell you this story and it is true. On the main line at JoeNall a few years back mike and I had our canopy setup and just enjoying our selves. A person pulls up next to us and introduces home and explanes that he just came from Europe where he attended the world’s. So we were impressed. Anyway he brings out his plane and I must say it was absolutely immaculate, and every imaginable detail was on it. So anyway he flew the plane and we had some discussion about the plane. That evening he takes the plane apart and mike and I get up close and take a look we were both horrified the outside was perfect but inside was just a disaster things half glued balsa not finished and squared off everything just thrown in honestly you just could not belive, it reminds of the time when Jetpainter showed us that plane that had the weights welde on the front to balance. It was crazy but once the plane was all buttoned up it was just perfect.

Beauty really is skin deep.:p

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well the 3D printer is being used . The spinner looks good . How strong is the plastic that is used to make these parts are there any material specifications.

There are a few types to plastic that are used. The most common is PLA which is what I’m using. It’s pretty tuff when your printer settings are spot on, you can refine the quality of print you can make. I soaked a throttle arm in nitro fuel for a few days and it did nothing to it.

more detail edit:
PLA filament is a polylactic acid/resin made into a thermoplastic that is actually biodegradable - when put through a hot extruder from 185-215 degrees is transmitted to a flat surface via the printing software which has the ability to manage multiple settings and multiple is no understatement.

For instance:
Infill % 100% means that there is no gaps inside the structure and is purely plastic, 20% would mean the inside structure is hollow with some sort of structure that you choose (like webbing/ribs ect). at 100% it is pretty robust, and I think it is more rigid than ABS, which means more brittle, so it may crack easier. IMHO
Resolution: The distance the extruder is moving vertically depending on your nozzle size. for instance I have a .4mm nozzle - at .2mm resolution is considered a draft, .15 would be a higher quality print with less texture in the print.
Speed: the rate at which the printer is moving, most of the time 100% is too fast for anything that has an overhang, so I start slow (like 20-30% to start a print then move up to 75% or so) this all depends on your flow rate from the extruder and your filament quality, heated bed settings, part cooling fan quality, bed adhesion, ect.
Flow rate: the speed at which your servo is feeding filament to the hot extruder head.

This is just to give you an idea of the many factors that are put into 3D printing. It is a pretty big learning curve, especially if you have a low quality printer.. you'll be fighting the what a quality print should look like if the printer isn't accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry

I have seen this very same thing. I used to attend an event called "Rally of the Eagles" and was just amazed at the models until I got a peak inside :eek:. Now there were many flawless inside and out but a fair share of them made you wonder how it stayed together in flight. A few did not.