• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Here we go... directions for replacing the plug boot cap. Hope it helps @Snoopy1 and anyone else that needs it.
View attachment 99904
By the way, don't get confused with the word "register". It should read...."resistor". LOL
Thanks for that it always nice to gain some knowledge it is something I have never had to do. Still have one question the resistor that is pressed into the spark plug wire and then you heat shrink a small piece heat shrink over the wire and the resister to hold it in place. Now the other end of the resistor do you just place it as far into the boot as possible. Or in other words you place the other end of the resistor at the bottom of the boot where the plug gets pushed in and then contacts the end of the resistor.. thanks for posting the instructions.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for that it always nice to gain some knowledge it is something I have never had to do. Still have one question the resistor that is pressed into the spark plug wire and then you heat shrink a small piece heat shrink over the wire and the resister to hold it in place. Now the other end of the resistor do you just place it as far into the boot as possible. Or in other words you place the other end of the resistor at the bottom of the boot where the plug gets pushed in and then contacts the end of the resistor.. thanks for posting the instructions.

bf7bae0a784af587fd6d8692c3f1a331.jpg

Basically yes. I bent my resistor end up towards the opening and positive contact with the little spring. It touches the opposite side of the boot. Pretty much... I would take a good reference from another cap to get the idea. The overall method seems primitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
bf7bae0a784af587fd6d8692c3f1a331.jpg

Basically yes. I bent my resistor end up towards the opening and positive contact with the little spring. It touches the opposite side of the boot. Pretty much... I would take a good reference from another cap to get the idea. The overall method seems primitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boy you said it, it seems very primitive. Just pushing in the other end of the resistor and hoping for a good contact with the spring and or spark plug seems a little hokey, I guess it works just just does not feel correct that is why I asked. I feel it should be wound around the spring and then soldered I guess that would over kill.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok gentleman I have re built many spark plug wires for cars with copper wire and carbon wire but have never seen a resistor in a cap like that. First what is the resistor doing for the system and why. I know it is not important but what is the value of the resistor and the wattage. It is like sticking a orifice on the end of a hose to restrict the flow why would you want to do that.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Ok gentleman I have re built many spark plug wires for cars with copper wire and carbon wire but have never seen a resistor in a cap like that. First what is the resistor doing for the system and why. I know it is not important but what is the value of the resistor and the wattage. It is like sticking a orifice on the end of a hose to restrict the flow why would you want to do that.

The resistor is for noise or RF suppression because the small plugs that are used are not suppression type plugs like you find on automobile engines. Off the top of my head I don't know the resistor value but you can look at the color bands on it and google a chart showing the values.

400px-Resistor_color_code_chart.png

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The resistor is for noise or RF suppression because the small plugs that are used are not suppression type plugs like you find on automobile engines. Off the top of my head I don't know the resistor value but you can look at the color bands on it and google a chart showing the values.

View attachment 99916
Thanks for that interesting to know. Now looking at the resister that the Stang has shown I belive it to be a 20,000 ohm resistor. And from the size it could be a 5 watt size. Thanks again this is an interesting hobby and with all the knowledge on this site it makes the hobby a lot more enjoyable.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
2200A04C-C338-4531-A8CB-B7ABE7B03F10.jpeg
Ok hope to make this long story short and sweet. While building the ViperST last year I got to stage were I could install the stabilizer and the wing and found that the two were not parallel. At the time another builder had the same problem. After trying to find away to fix it,it looked like I had to do some major surgery that at the time I was not in the right frame of mind to do it. So this week I started to try and fix the fuselage so that the stabilizer and the wing were parallel. So after hanging some weight on the wing and stabilizer I could twist the fuselage to get the two parallel. Then did some measurements and found that one location on the fuselage was having the most twist. So I installed a wire cross brace at that location with some turnbuckles and started tightening then and sure enough I could the wing and stabilizer parallel. Job done and will now finish the build.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
View attachment 99918 Ok hope to make this long story short and sweet. While building the ViperST last year I got to stage were I could install the stabilizer and the wing and found that the two were not parallel. At the time another builder had the same problem. After trying to find away to fix it,it looked like I had to do some major surgery that at the time I was not in the right frame of mind to do it. So this week I started to try and fix the fuselage so that the stabilizer and the wing were parallel. So after hanging some weight on the wing and stabilizer I could twist the fuselage to get the two parallel. Then did some measurements and found that one location on the fuselage was having the most twist. So I installed a wire cross brace at that location with some turnbuckles and started tightening then and sure enough I could the wing and stabilizer parallel. Job done and will now finish the build.

Did this come from PAU this way?
forehead-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif