• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The NotForSale

Here it is pretty much finished. I didn't do a great job documenting the wing mount that I used. I think that was mainly because I was in a rush to get it to the field for the maiden. Essentially I made a Jesus bolt mount in which you slide the FG spars between two pieces of wood that are squeezed together by a bolt to hold them in place.

I wanted a wing mount that was sturdy enough to hold the wings, yet be a quick attach and release unit. At the same time I wanted it to be forgiving in the event of a crash to minimize damage to the wings. I'll explain later how this worked exactly as it was supposed to, but I am going to change it anyway.

I was extremely excited about how the plane looked and could not wait to get it the air. I must have sat in the kitchen for 30 minutes just looking at the NFS and feeling happy that it was finally built after so long. Because I used the wrong size hinge pins, I ended up with a big gap between the control surfaces, but I decided to fly it as such and see how it went. The pin striping was the final the touch and she was all set for the field that Saturday.

Attachments

• NFS 54.jpg
    NFS 54.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 462
  • NFS 56.jpg
    NFS 56.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 426
  • NFS 58.jpg
    NFS 58.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 421
Forgot to mention that the landing gear are for a Twist 40. Didn't have any paint on hand, so I covered them in Ultracote... worked pretty well and no one noticed it at the build contest.

SnowDog

ha ha that's funny - LG from a Twist! Nicely done!
I still have a Twist 60 that I fly from time to time.

Maiden. I brought the NFS to the field to meet up with a couple buddies who were also part of the club balsa build contest. When I got to the field there was no wind and a nice temperature. Perfect conditions for a maiden flight. My thought was to fly something else first to warm up the thumbs as it were. The only other thing I had with me was mu DLG, so I thew it up a few times but it was too calm and too early for thermal activity, so I gave up.

My buddy got his camera ready and I brought the NFS to the flight line and checked the controls. I slowly applied power and the tail lifted off the ground as it gained speed and everything felt good, so I goosed it and up I went. My initial flight consisted of a few rolls and loops and along with some tail wags to be sure everything was tight. It took two clicks of the elevator to get it to fly hands-off. When the timer went off I had to double check it because it felt like the flight was shorter than the 5 minutes I programmed in, but the clock was correct so I lined it up for an approach.

I had done a glide check during the flight and knew it floated well, so I powered off and headed in. About 3 feet off the ground I played with the throttle to smooth out the lading, but it really wasn't necessary. Back on the ground, with a grin from ear to ear...

Attachments

• 9530774489_a8d9488c52_o.jpg
    9530774489_a8d9488c52_o.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 414
  • 9530789553_9e74b3f801_o.jpg
    9530789553_9e74b3f801_o.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 427
  • 9530797269_8e75fe72e6_o.jpg
    9530797269_8e75fe72e6_o.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 409
Thanks. I enjoyed flying the NotForSale so much that it is the only thing I flew for two full weekends! The only reason I stopped was because I brought it down too low and dumped it into the corn!!! Everything worked exactly as I wanted it too; the wings came off, the battery ejected and the bottom plate came loose instead of destroying the landing gear. Very little damage to be fixed, but I am still going to redesign how the wings are attached... I want them firmer.

Fantastic flying airplane!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Great maiden report, thanks for sharing. Good luck on the minimal repairs you need from the corn huckin

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Wow, what a jog down memory lane. I remember some members of our club back in the 90's built that plane. It was one of the really old guys who started it. There was a certain look to these guys planes. Well built but they still looked a certain way. Hard to explain. Yours looks so much better! I enjoyed the read. About that time I had a Morris Hobbies spinsation. What an awesome fun plane.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Wow, what a jog down memory lane. I remember some members of our club back in the 90's built that plane. It was one of the really old guys who started it. There was a certain look to these guys planes. Well built but they still looked a certain way. Hard to explain. Great guys. Yours looks so much better! I enjoyed the read. About that time I had a Morris Hobbies spinsation (fun plane). A "hotts" and a scratch built version of the midwest strike master. Ah, the good ol' days. Thanks so much for the article.