• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool The I'm going out flying thread 2017

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I love the look of holes and love how they fly I just can't get around the amount of time needed to assemble and take down. One day I will have one.
It really isn't all that bad. I stand mine on the nose, (huge foam protector of course), I usually lean it up against a table (huge foam protector for that too) or have someone hold it. Then insert the top wing tube and slide on the top wings and insert the four retaining bolts. Insert the lower wing tubes (2) and slide on the wings. Insert the four retaining bolts. Slip in one interplane strut and insert four bolts. Then the remaining strut and its corresponding four bolts. Screw back on my belly hatch...(2 screws) set it on the wheels and done. Total set up for me is usually about 10 minutes. Tear down on the other hand takes me about 20 to 30 minutes. But then all my planes come apart much slower than when I assemble them. I know...you're scratching your heads right? Cuz I am so anal, I clean every inch of those wings/stabs and what not before I ever slide them into the wing bags. Then of course there is the time to wipe down my fuselages, cowls...yada yada..... But I think the biggest contributing factor (at least 50% of involved time) of lengthy tear downs is due to the chatting and camaraderie from friends and fellow club members and flyers.

You know you want one. And you know you are going to do it. You might as well just step up to the plate, take the bat and hit a home run. Come on...do it, do it, do it.....:laughing:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Test flight after rebuilding the servos was a success. Got 2 solid flights yesterday before deciding it was time to pack it up to keep it nice for the Spats Invitational in 3 weeks :)

21687659_10215228724298346_4612958589395456233_n.jpg

Feels much crisper now, though I forgot to match the elevator servos to each other with the programmer :oblong:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Test flight after rebuilding the servos was a success. Got 2 solid flights yesterday before deciding it was time to pack it up to keep it nice for the Spats Invitational in 3 weeks :)

View attachment 99098

Feels much crisper now, though I forgot to match the elevator servos to each other with the programmer :oblong:
Matching is overrated. LOL

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Beautiful Sunday morning, the entire field to myself, a sweet flying round cowl plane, a "dub" under the hood...what more could a guy ask for? Well, how about maybe another 20 or 30 degrees in temperature? Brrr... a little chilly but I'm doin' it anyway. The cooler temps are however letting that 170 really turn on the power. Been contemplating it for a long time. The more the 170 breaks in, the more I realize that 32x11 is just not enough prop. Maybe a 33x10 or 11?

Who else is taking advantage today?
20170924_110120.jpg
20170924_110150.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Beautiful Sunday morning, the entire field to myself, a sweet flying round cowl plane, a "dub" under the hood...what more could a guy ask for? Well, how about maybe another 20 or 30 degrees in temperature? Brrr... a little chilly but I'm doin' it anyway. The cooler temps are however letting that 170 really turn on the power. Been contemplating it for a long time. The more the 170 breaks in, the more I realize that 32x11 is just not enough prop. Maybe a 33x10 or 11?

Who else is taking advantage today?
View attachment 99099 View attachment 99100
I got out today, and you would have been welcome to 20 degrees of our temperature that's for sure. 95 is WAAAAAY too hot for the end of September.:confused:

I put a few flights on my Pilot Edge and also flew my buddy's 40% Carf Sukhoi.:)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Spent the day at the field again no wind and really hot 95 plus. Man that is just getting to hot after getting ready and everything ready to fly I just sat in the shade with a large cold coke and was just happy to sit there and relax. Got in a number of good flights but was in hurry to go up again. Just sit back and relax. Can you believe this heat it is September 24 that is just nuts how hot it is.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Spent the day at the field again no wind and really hot 95 plus. Man that is just getting to hot after getting ready and everything ready to fly I just sat in the shade with a large cold coke and was just happy to sit there and relax. Got in a number of good flights but was in hurry to go up again. Just sit back and relax. Can you believe this heat it is September 24 that is just nuts how hot it is.
Our weather is supposed to turn good some time this week, with highs in the 70's.:)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Didn't manage to get any pictures from today so here's one from the TriCities Huck :)

IMG_0244.jpg

The funny thing is, though it may be a high wing Cub, the thing still throws down and tracks straight as an arrow, ZERO coupling in knife edge. Barn door flaps drop down and the thing picks up like zero speed on the down line and slows right to a 3 point landing. What's even more funny is it's the ONLY foamy that I have ever had that will do a pop-top!!! :oblong::oblong: I really do forget how much I love this thing until I go fly it. :banana-dance:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
picked up a UMX timber, what a fun little bush plane! It can take off of grass! With decent wheels and functional flaps I found myself doing some gravel/grass strip one way landings - dodging the yard landscape, maneuvering around shrubs and small trees! The plane flys like an underpowered funcub, cant hang on the prop... but it can actually be put into a slip!! wohooo