• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I had an interesting day at the field today. First off the weather man needs to be shot. 5 to 10mph my die'n A@@! My flying buddy Tony wanted to maiden his new Composite ARF 35% Extra 330SC. He hasn't flown yet this year, so I got elected to do it. What a gorgeous airplane! DA 120, Pro Flows and a beautiful slick Breitling scheme.

It flew great! It needed one click of up and one of right aileron. I had to cut the flight short because the airplane started getting loud. By the time I landed it was obvious that the headers were no longer attached to the Pro Flows. It turns out for some reason both Teflon couplers were broken in half. That unfortunately ended it's day and Tony never got to fly it.
20160515_095332_resized.jpg
20160515_095249_resized.jpg

I had brought my Composite ARF 30% Extra 330L. I figured I would fly it, then let Tony have a turn. Well about 5 minutes into my first flight the engine just died at about half throttle. It had been running great before that. I was in just about the worst spot I could be. I was about 50' high and had just crossed over the beginning of the runway heading into the wind. I wasn't going fast enough to circle around, so I just kept going straight and hoped for the best. That part of the runway is about 600 feet long then there's a road then a farmers field. It cruised right over the runway then over the road at about 5' high, then out over the farmers field. That field sits a little lower than the road so I could see the plane, but not the ground. I just kept flairing and hoping, and luckily that field was bare and pretty smooth because it landed pretty smoothly considering where I was. Tony walked out and got it for me and we were happy to see only one gear leg flexed enough to damage the fuse side a little, but not that badly.

When we got it back and tried to re-start it, it started on the second flip and ran perfectly. I hate when you can't find a problem. I'm going to check the tank and a few other things, but so far I don't see a thing wrong.

That was the end of our day of flying. It sucked because he had an all day kitchen pass since his wife was out of town. So we went out and ate Mexican, then went and looked at new Corvettes and stumbled onto a car show. So, the day wasn't a total waste.

I took this picture from the edge of the road, you can see how far out it my Extra was.

20160515_104855_resized.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I had an interesting day at the field today. First off the weather man needs to be shot. 5 to 10mph my die'n A@@! My flying buddy Tony wanted to maiden his new Composite ARF 35% Extra 330SC. He hasn't flown yet this year, so I got elected to do it. What a gorgeous airplane! DA 120, Pro Flows and a beautiful slick Breitling scheme.

It flew great! It needed one click of up and one of right aileron. I had to cut the flight short because the airplane started getting loud. By the time I landed it was obvious that the headers were no longer attached to the Pro Flows. It turns out for some reason both Teflon couplers were broken in half. That unfortunately ended it's day and Tony never got to fly it.
View attachment 80802 View attachment 80804

I had brought my Composite ARF 30% Extra 330L. I figured I would fly it, then let Tony have a turn. Well about 5 minutes into my first flight the engine just died at about half throttle. It had been running great before that. I was in just about the worst spot I could be. I was about 50' high and had just crossed over the beginning of the runway heading into the wind. I wasn't going fast enough to circle around, so I just kept going straight and hoped for the best. That part of the runway is about 600 feet long then there's a road then a farmers field. It cruised right over the runway then over the road at about 5' high, then out over the farmers field. That field sits a little lower than the road so I could see the plane, but not the ground. I just kept flairing and hoping, and luckily that field was bare and pretty smooth because it landed pretty smoothly considering where I was. Tony walked out and got it for me and we were happy to see only one gear leg flexed enough to damage the fuse side a little, but not that badly.

When we got it back and tried to re-start it, it started on the second flip and ran perfectly. I hate when you can't find a problem. I'm going to check the tank and a few other things, but so far I don't see a thing wrong.

That was the end of our day of flying. It sucked because he had an all day kitchen pass since his wife was out of town. So we went out and ate Mexican, then went and looked at new Corvettes and stumbled onto a car show. So, the day wasn't a total waste.

I took this picture from the edge of the road, you can see how far out it my Extra was.

View attachment 80819

Nice Nice Nice plane! Scheme fits the Extra well:attaboy:.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
..................I took this picture from the edge of the road, you can see how far out it my Extra was.

were the Breitling stickers on there or did it come plain yellow?

glad to see there wasn't more damage, pretty lucky to have an empty field like that out beyond your normal landing spot.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Yep. DLE 20. Mainly picked it up to see how the radio would do in a gasser with 1 battery. It did very well and the plane did also. I would not hesitate to put the radio in a larger gasser.....
right before I sold MultiRotorForums.com we gave an i10 away as part of a contest. I haven't shipped it yet but I should open it up and take a look at it I guess.

fun looking plane, there's a whole 3Dpedia feature at the site now, that would be a perfect plane for working your way through the list.
http://giantscalenews.com/forums/the-world-famous-3dpedia.195/

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
right before I sold MultiRotorForums.com we gave an i10 away as part of a contest. I haven't shipped it yet but I should open it up and take a look at it I guess.

fun looking plane, there's a whole 3Dpedia feature at the site now, that would be a perfect plane for working your way through the list.
http://giantscalenews.com/forums/the-world-famous-3dpedia.195/

There is a thread I did on the i10 as well. I mainly got this radio for a hex I was going to build but decided to put three nice electrics on it. I may still build the hex if it does not sell because I updated the radio with a multi rotor model menue and it is a cool feature. The plane was obtained as a gasser "test bed" for the radio.