• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Four pistons make a sound all of there own, unique. Not something ya hear often. She given you lots of pull? Was it hard to tune?
The 128 has plenty of pull. It is spinning the same size prop as my DLE 111 at just shy of the same rpm static as the 111. But it has a ton more torque. And sooo much smoother. As for tuning, it was pretty easy. Just have to make certain both throttle plates on the carbs are synced. And of course, needle adjustments are very much like a single or a twin. Running the rear cylinders just a "smidgen" richer than the front. I kept the settings pretty rich as you can tell on the first few flights. No way am I going to take a chance getting it too lean before it is broken in good. I did change up the baffling on the replacement motor from the first one. I was able to clean up the wiring in the cowl and route everything so I was able to "split" the baffling on both sets of cylinders. Temps were ranging from the first initial maiden flight of around 150 to 160 degrees F. on all four cylinders to about 180 and just above on the following two flights that I really put it through the paces on good long ten minute flights.

-Rick-

100cc
Yes, I could hear it was a bit rich. Can't blame you for that. Any pic's of your baffling? Almost sounds like its stilling running a bit cool, guess that is from running a touch rich. I really would like find out how this motor works out for you.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yes, I could hear it was a bit rich. Can't blame you for that. Any pic's of your baffling? Almost sounds like its stilling running a bit cool, guess that is from running a touch rich. I really would like find out how this motor works out for you.
So far I am quite pleased with it. After the first three flights, I figured I would pull the cowl and double check everything. I don't have a good picture of the baffling, but can get one and post it. Basically, I just outlined the cylinders on both sides of the motor and cut a plate with that outline. It basically blocks the air from going straight through the cowl and forces the air to go through the tops of the cylinders and down to exit through the bottom of the cowl. I can keep ya posted on how it progresses. My son now has 34 flights on his DLE 222 four cylinder in his big PAU Edge. Not a single problem one with his. Very strong motor and it sounds even more impressive than the little DLA 128. But hey, four cylinders are just cool no matter what size they are. LOL

-Rick-

100cc
Ya the DLE four could be good but I think the 128 would be nice to have for 100c size planes. The 222 would need a much bigger plane. As far as sound I think the 128 sounds great! Wonder how it would sound on cans...