• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
You certainly have the plane for it. The H9 Su-26 took the top three places in Sportsman class at the Wrightsville (Little Rock) contest a few weeks ago.
Very cool. To me the Sukhoi is great to do things with like 3D and such. But I really feel it is best suited for IMAC. I think the graceful aerobatics are just so nice to watch! Really looking forward to giving it a try.

Luv the challenge of IMAC sequences and they REALLY improve your flying. I also like to mix it in with 3d, it just polishes things up on a routine. Having a set sequence gets you used to thinking ahead and the placement of maneuvers.

Going to contests though, not so much. Too much time and money to get to a contest and only fly 3 or 4 times a day. And, watching the same sequence 10-20 times in a row is not exactly exciting.

Too much time and money to get to a contest and only fly 3 or 4 times a day. And, watching the same sequence 10-20 times in a row is not exactly exciting.

Not to get critical on you, but there's much more to it than flying sequences during the contest itself. Many of the guys arrive on Friday for a practice day. Lots of flying, and most of the top-level pilots are willing to coach you while you practice. I think this was my favorite part.

Then, during the actual contest, someone must judge, scribe, score keep, and run scores. All those things are essential to a successful contest. And, after judging a couple rounds of the lower classes, I'm pretty sure you'll be glad to just sit and watch for a while... It's a lot of work. Harder than flying IMHO.

Just my opinion, of course, but I liked it, and intend to get back to it before long.

Not to get critical on you, but there's much more to it than flying sequences during the contest itself. Many of the guys arrive on Friday for a practice day. Lots of flying, and most of the top-level pilots are willing to coach you while you practice. I think this was my favorite part.

Then, during the actual contest, someone must judge, scribe, score keep, and run scores. All those things are essential to a successful contest. And, after judging a couple rounds of the lower classes, I'm pretty sure you'll be glad to just sit and watch for a while... It's a lot of work. Harder than flying IMHO.

Just my opinion, of course, but I liked it, and intend to get back to it before long.

It would probably be different if there were some closer contests. They are all at least 5 hours away. I wouldn't mind giving it another go, just doesn't fit in with the demands of life right now.

Really get the whole judging thing. First contest I went to I sorta knew the guys running it and got asked to judge intermediate. That was almost more nerve wracking than the flying.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
IMAC may be somewhat lacking as a spectator sport but entering and participating in a contest is extremely rewarding. Stepping up to the pilot box in front of judges and competitors to fly your known sequence and especially the unknowns, to me is unrivaled as an adrenaline rush. Hours and hours of practice, hard work, and dedication to flying better all come together in that moment. It's better than drugs and just as addictive.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Nothing better than cleaning up from flying when it's dark out. LEDs inside and outside make a nice place for a clean up beverage.
20150527_220439.jpg