• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Hardest Thing To Figure Out

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I put together a price comparison of Rx by brand. It does look like Hitec is the winner by looking at price only. Spektrum has the most by channel though if that is a consideration.

JR seems to be the most costliest.

See the attached.

Frank

Attachments

• RX Price Comp.jpg
    RX Price Comp.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 275

gyro

GSN Contributor
I put together a price comparison of Rx by brand. It does look like Hitec is the winner by looking at price only. Spektrum has the most by channel though if that is a consideration.

JR seems to be the most costliest.

See the attached.

Frank

Great breakdown! I'm guessing those are retail prices? Not that I can anymore, but in the past I bought many of my Spektrum receivers through the classifieds on RCG.

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Yes, retail prices. I did not "shop around" and I'm sure you can find sale prices and get any of those receivers at a cheaper price.

Frank

SnowDog

Well I am on the hunt for a new radio. I currently have an Airtronics RDS 8000 and really like it. But I want to upgrade to something with a few more features.

There is so much info out there and just when you think you may have decided on something, someone comes along and shoots a hole in that idea. I would get the SD-10G but sadly, that radio is just ugly. I know, it is what is inside that counts, but it is hard to look at that radio and say "that is a good looking radio."

I was thinking about the Hitec Aurora 9. Good looking radio and it has telemetry. That is cool! But then I heard it serious latency problems. So now I don't know what to do.

Settle for ugly or settle for latency?

Anyone have any suggestions for 4 bills or less?

Thanks,

Frank

That's an excellent point Gary. At one time I built a nice little spreadsheet (I know that's the geek in me) with all 2.4G Rx from 5 channel and up. I think at that time Hitec was a little cheaper than Spektrum. Not sure who rates the best now though. Perhaps when I get the chance I'll make another one and post it here.

Frank

Frank,

I'm a long time Airtronics user...had the old Vanguard radios back in the day, then got an RDS 8000 a year or so ago, and then last winter I got my SD-10G. I love the SD-10G...it can do way more than I could ask for. Not sure what you don't like about the looks of the SD-10G...but it is comfortable in my hands, sturdy, and very easy to program. Plus, all my 2.4ghz receivers are still usable. Latency is one of the lowest (if not the lowest). The SD-10G does not have telemetry, but that was not something I was looking for. When I considered using different radio system, the cost of replacing 8 Airtronics 2.4ghz RX's made the switch way too costly.

If you decide to sell your RDS 8000 and use a different brand, let me know when you sell your Airtronics 2.4ghz RX's...I would like a shot at buying some of them at least. I also like that Airtronics sells 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10 channel RX's so you only have to pay for what you need. They are almost impossible to find in the classifieds...they usually sell within minutes or hours.

I would question the prices you have listed for the ATX RX's on your list. I can find them for $10 per channel without any trouble whatsoever.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Mike,

I didn't go "shopping around" on the best prices for any of the recievers. I just went to a couple popular websites and figured that the prices would be a wash overall since I was getting prices from the same source for most of them. I'm sure you can get any of them cheaper if you watched for sale prices and email notices. I just used that as a basic guide.

I apologize if any of those prices may be misleading to some folks.

And I'll be sure to keep you in mind when/if I do not continue with Airtronics and decide to start selling off my stuff. Right now I have two RDS8000's that I use for pilot training so I don't think I'll be getting rid of them anytime soon though.

Frank

SnowDog

That's an excellent point Gary. At one time I built a nice little spreadsheet (I know that's the geek in me) with all 2.4G Rx from 5 channel and up. I think at that time Hitec was a little cheaper than Spektrum. Not sure who rates the best now though. Perhaps when I get the chance I'll make another one and post it here.

Frank

Mike,

I didn't go "shopping around" on the best prices for any of the recievers. I just went to a couple popular websites and figured that the prices would be a wash overall since I was getting prices from the same source for most of them. I'm sure you can get any of them cheaper if you watched for sale prices and email notices. I just used that as a basic guide.

I apologize if any of those prices may be misleading to some folks.

And I'll be sure to keep you in mind when/if I do not continue with Airtronics and decide to start selling off my stuff. Right now I have two RDS8000's that I use for pilot training so I don't think I'll be getting rid of them anytime soon though.

Frank

Frank,
Thanks for putting together this info; this kind of comparison is very helpful.
After your last reply, I thought about it some more and realized you are probably pricing out the FHSS-3 RX's, which are more expensive.
For most applications, the FHSS-1 RX's are quite satisfactory.
Here is the link to Airtronics 2.4ghx RXs from HobbyPeople.net (who are the primary distributor and servicer of Airtronics equipment in the US) so you can see the (essentially) list prices on these items:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.ph...eceivers-for-rc-aircraft.html?manufacturer=39

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mike

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Mike,

You are correct. I was pricing the -3's because that is what I was going to use with my SD-10G but you make a very good point and one that I did not think about. The SD-10G can use both the -1 and the -3. That is awesome.

I will go back and add those when I get the chance.

Thanks,

Frank

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
PS I think this forum is wonderful. It is great to share information and trade ideas without the threat of personal attacks. I have not been here very long, but I feel like I can communicate with all of you guys without the fear of retaliation if I happen to say something "wrong." It is great to be among folks who act luck adults. Even those who are yet old enough to vote. ;)

Thanks for keeping it real. As the kids used to say. ;)

SnowDog

Mike,

You are correct. I was pricing the -3's because that is what I was going to use with my SD-10G but you make a very good point and one that I did not think about. The SD-10G can use both the -1 and the -3. That is awesome.

I will go back and add those when I get the chance.

Thanks,

Frank

Glad I could help. I'm hoping to get an 8ch FHSS-3 this winter for my 71" Slick Gasser....because I want to use HV servos and I'd like for the RX to be able to handle the HV. In addition to the higher frame rate, HV is the other nice feature of the FHSS-3 RX's. But it comes at a price...in $$...for the new features. :eek:

Aerosi

30cc
This comparison is awesome! Coincidentally (being a data geek), I just did one myself as I'm trying to compare the A9, DX8, 8FG on a "point" system, since I cannot decide on which to get. I took fourteen areas that are important to me (price, brand receiver price, knock off receiver price, look, feel, channels, features, etc....) and gave each radio my personal score on a scale of 1-10. I have been going back and forth for week! By B-Day is coming up next month and I convinced the wife to get me a new transmitter, I just have to decide which one.

I'm flying a DX6i now, so of course the DX8 seems like a no brainer. But to summarize a very long internal debate, as of now, the 8FG edged out the DX8 by 1 point...133 vs 132. Unfortunately the A9 is out at 126. The fact that Tower has the 8FG w/ the main 8ch sbus receiver AND also a 7ch receiver thrown in free, plus its on easy pay, really sweetened the deal. I have time to decide, but its good to see I'm not the only one creating spreadsheets for this!

Also, as for receiver price comparison, I'm not sure if you ever look at the knock off china ones (I use those in cheapie planes and foamies), but Hitec and Futaba ones are about $25 each vs Spektrum which I have a few that I picked up for $5.99 (and they work awesome...so far).

Good luck!