• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

The EXTRA 300 EXT Build Thread

AKfreak

150cc
Well, I made it 1/16th of an inch and it looks great. I had to make my own standoffs for this one. It was in my 64" MSX that used to have a Torque motor in it, now it has a Motrolfly. Things are getting very close.

There is a tip from Christ Hinson to use double sided mounting tape between the back plate of the spinner and the cowl to get the perfect gap on electrics where the cowl bolts set the gap. You want a little gap as too tight and you will scrap paint off in hard maneuvers as things will flex under the high Gs we put these models through.

AKfreak

150cc
There is a tip from Christ Hinson to use double sided mounting tape between the back plate of the spinner and the cowl to get the perfect gap on electrics where the cowl bolts set the gap. You want a little gap as too tight and you will scrap paint off in hard maneuvers as things will flex under the high Gs we put these models through.

Hey thanks for the tip. I can always shim the motor if I have to. The obstacle in this case was the cowl was already mounted because this plane is used. It used to run the Torque motor from Extreme Flight. However, when I bought it, the electrics were gone so I installed a MotrolFly motor. I had to try and set a gap based on a mounted cowl. I think it looks perfect at 1/16 of an inch. Had I thought of the flexing, I would of gone with an 1/8" gap.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Take a closer look [MENTION=2280]Dr. Gonzo[/MENTION] ;) He did not get electronics with the plane.

AKfreak

150cc
I bought the plane with no Electrics. After extensive research I went with Motrolfly in both of my current builds. The 4330 216 KV on the Extra and the 4315-480kv on th MSX. The reasons I went with the MF motor are its' Lighter, Runs Cooler, Handles a 16" Prop, has larger diameter and shorter stator length, not to mention it's hand wound by a Man in the good ole USA. Also I wanted to run something different that what comes from SunRay Technology (Maker of E-F TORQUE, HACKER, HYPERION-Z,SONIC Electric, LiPolice, Turnigy SK3. Example the Torque 4016T/500 (280g) is exact same motor as: Hacker A40-10 L V2, Kv 500, 10T =Turnigy SK3 4250-500kv, 10T =PA Thrust 50, 487Kvsee.

I hope this help you understand why I went with the Motrolfly ;)

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Doh! I did not catch that, I am sorry. I thought you pulled out the out Torque. I agree the Motrolfly are gnarly. I even have one on my little foamy. But I would not have pulled the torque just to replace it. I was like "whaaaa?". Lol That is what I get half reading stuff aying on my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Torque only because I got a smoking deal on it. Plus it is a bolt on application, even though standoffs are not a huge deal. Only bad experience I ever had with Motrolfly, Ken warned me about. He recalled some motors due to a glue issue and before I got around to removing the motor, it threw a magnet. Nothing got damaged and motor was back in a month or so. Can't go wrong with Ken.

AKfreak

150cc
Well I got my Servos today, anf my ESC's yesterday. I have everything except for the 20X8 prop amd the 3" white Spinner.

I installed the Gecko 85 in the MXS, and I did program it, but I have a question about the setup. What are your settings? I have it set on Lipo, Auto,6.0 V bec (on the Extra I will use an A123 RX pack), No Braking, and Voltage Protection OFF. I would rather loose a pack and be able to land the plane rather than have it loose power at the wrong moment and crash ( it's he the multi-rotor guy in me.)

How do you guys have you ESC setup

13479804413_3b8970a21f_c.jpg

13479804293_0a61e12455_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: