• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Bonehead Files

wedoitall

my lil AJ yak i got from you. I shouldnt had been out there that day, felt like i was floating on air or something. Thirty some dollar fix as long as i didnt bust up the motrolfly, which so far it looks like i didnt. The part that sucks, really is that i just got her back up flying after they hay in our field snatched the LG right out of her a few months ago. That lil plane can be pretty violent when you want it to be. I remaiden it in some serious wind a couple weeks ago and it was a freaking blast. I think i like flying it in some decent to wild winds rather than on a calm day.

But on telemetry, i cant fly without it. i actually need to grab a few more units myself, so i dont have to switch back and forth on a couple of my planes. Telemetry has saved my arse a couple times already, especially on using a discharged lipo, thinking it was already charged. Another time the temp sensor saved me when i had a Omega lock up on me on the AJ Yak, LOL. The temp alarm went off and that gave me enough time to get her out of the wood and tree line back onto the field. She did drop from about 50-70' high, but programming the failsafe to full deflection elevator no throttle did help alot also, she didnt get busted up too bad.

That lil yak has already been thru hell and back. I think im gonna retire her to the wall, maybe just use as a backup. Especially since i have the baby MXS now, which i hope to maiden finally this evening, as long as i feel good.

I think this time around has been about the sickest ive ever been. supposed to go back to the Doctor later, but everybody thinks i have pneumonia. I dont care what it is , I just wanna fly. This has been the longest i havent flown since i started back in September. I havent flown the MXS for almost 3 weeks and its killing me. Havent flown anything since the day i busted up the yak and that was Tuesday of last week. Everybody knows i feel pretty bad when i dont fly or even mess with my planes.

SnowDog

How did I miss this thread? Geez, I coulda been contributing all along!
Now I'll have to think back a bit since I haven't been flying much since last fall....although I'm sure I'll have more boneheaded moves real soon now. ;)

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Tell me more about your fail safe setting with the elevator and how it works. I'm intrigued.

Also, sorry to hear you're not feeling well and sorry I didn't make it down for you and Anthony flying. I have an out of town gf that I'm getting ready to propose to whom I only see on weekends.

Get those planes back up! :D

njswede

150cc
That lesson cost me an ESC!

Guys and gals! When you take your motor off, make sure you put it somewhere that's free of metal debris! I just had an "inexplicable" ESC fire and when examining the plane, I found the motor was locked, so I took it apart. In side, I found a lot of metal filings and debris. I must have put it down on my bench somewhere and it absorbed a washer or small screw that got stuck and subsequently pulverized. Apparently enough to lock up the motor and burn the ESC. Oh well, you live and learn...

3DMad5

50cc
A few weeks ago I destroyed my only not UMX plane. I was flying it for the first time after it had been in storage for a year. I was doing a power-off spiraling descent, when the model stalled. Instead of giving it throttle and climbing away as I should have, I just pulled back on the elevator in the hopes that it would level out. It plowed straight into the ground from 10 feet, completely shattering the internal structure (it was a plywood skeleton with a depron skin). Thankfully that led to me getting a new Telink 48" Extra EPP so that I can make these mistakes and not worry about a totaled plane

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Well Saturday morning I had my bonehead moment and lost my beloved 60" Extreme Flight Edge 540. I have loved all 166 flights on this and lately I have been flying lower and lower with it. We have a couple of trees that run parallel to our driving range/runway and I was practicing low rollers back and forth along the runway. I got a little close to the tree and brought it back level until I passed by the tree and started rolling again. Dumb thumbs I guess but it started rolling faster than expected which got the stir off I guess. It started going down and as you know nothing to do at that point. Was low at 6" and not fast but as you can see from the impact it blew apart the front end. Can't wait now for the Laser to be in stock now.

IMG_2267.jpg

hone

150cc
A few weeks ago I destroyed my only not UMX plane. I was flying it for the first time after it had been in storage for a year. I was doing a power-off spiraling descent, when the model stalled. Instead of giving it throttle and climbing away as I should have, I just pulled back on the elevator in the hopes that it would level out. It plowed straight into the ground from 10 feet, completely shattering the internal structure (it was a plywood skeleton with a depron skin). Thankfully that led to me getting a new Telink 48" Extra EPP so that I can make these mistakes and not worry about a totaled plane

Well Saturday morning I had my bonehead moment and lost my beloved 60" Extreme Flight Edge 540. I have loved all 166 flights on this and lately I have been flying lower and lower with it. We have a couple of trees that run parallel to our driving range/runway and I was practicing low rollers back and forth along the runway. I got a little close to the tree and brought it back level until I passed by the tree and started rolling again. Dumb thumbs I guess but it started rolling faster than expected which got the stir off I guess. It started going down and as you know nothing to do at that point. Was low at 6" and not fast but as you can see from the impact it blew apart the front end. Can't wait now for the Laser to be in stock now.

View attachment 14257
That sucks guys but the good new is you'll both really like the planes you're replacing them with. The Telink 48'' Extra is awesome fun and you can crash it without worrying at all.
I'm waiting for the Laser too because my MXS went through a tree a few months ago :facepalm:

3DMad5

50cc
Well, I maidened the Telink 48" Extra yesterday, and it was great! I did fly it into the ground a few times (I was practicing harriers and haven't quite got the hang of balancing throttle and elevator) but all I ended up with were some minor cracks. EPP is great!

njswede

150cc
Not RC-related, but pretty stupid:

Lesson learned last night. If you want to have engine oil sprayed all over your face, follow these simple steps.
1) Remove the dipstick from your lawn tractor and forget to replace it.
2) Lean over the engine to listen for strange noises after major repairs.
3) Start the engine. Wait a second for the oil pressure to rise and enjoy the shower!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Not RC-related, but pretty stupid:

Lesson learned last night. If you want to have engine oil sprayed all over your face, follow these simple steps.
1) Remove the dipstick from your lawn tractor and forget to replace it.
2) Lean over the engine to listen for strange noises after major repairs.
3) Start the engine. Wait a second for the oil pressure to rise and enjoy the shower!

Luckily it was hot yet, that would have hurt.

Would have been funny to see your face