• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Tech-aero IBEC question

AEROSHELDON

70cc twin V2
Anyone heard of one of these bringing a plane down? A buddy of mine lost a plane and JR Americas/JR Japan say it was the IBEC. He sent them all in to JR and that is what they came up with. Passing the buck??

I have 4 of them and no issues, as have many others.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Passing the buck........If it was the tech-aero unit, absolutely passing the buck. I've tried a couple others and worst I got was a high-speed miss with the engine with one of those. Tech Aero, I'd guess I've had 15-20 of them.....never a missed beat.

ryan_m

100cc
I've got a JR XG11 and have three different gas planes all running tech aero's, no problems on any of mine.
What radio was your buddy using Aerosheldon? DMSS or DSM?

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
Same here. I only have one but its been going for a year and a half and I expect several more years out of it.

AEROSHELDON

70cc twin V2
It is a XG14 so that should be DMSS??

I have an 11X but just for quads and foamies, my gassers all use Futaba so I am not sure what protocol it is.

ryan_m

100cc
Yeah, the XG series are all DMSS.
The 11x could be DSM2 or DSMX depending on whether it's been updated by Spektrum.

AEROSHELDON

70cc twin V2
Why do you ask? Is one protocol more susceptible to IBEC issues?

I use a 18MZ Futaba and never an issue, but my buddies seem to think the IBEC is an issue. I don't buy it.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Why do you ask? Is one protocol more susceptible to IBEC issues?
I use a 18MZ Futaba and never an issue, but my buddies seem to think the IBEC is an issue. I don't buy it.

Neither will effect the IBEC but the DSM2 is more susceptible to outside interference which is why it was axed.

ryan_m

100cc
I was just curious on which protocol as this would be the first failure I have heard of with DMSS related to gas engine ignitions. I know that the original Hitec Aurora 9's had issues with it, but other than that I haven't read of any failures. I fly a DMSS radio, so I take special interest in any failures on DMSS! Particularly if the warning about it comes from the manufacturer of the radio, and is on using the same equipment that I fly (the tech aero).

I won't go so far as to say that DSM2/DSMX or futaba, or any other brand is better/worse than any other brand. I made my choice in what I want to fly, and I have my reasons for why I did that. I'm not interested in starting radio wars, but I am very definitely interested in any info about failures on the brand of radio that I have!!

Last edited: