Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

    We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

    Welcome!

**sticky** Understanding Lithium Polymer Batteries

Discussion in 'Beginners' Lounge' started by Bartman, Aug 29, 2014.

   

  1. The Max Amps 150C lipos come to mind immediaty!

    Another thing to note (especially on the Turnigy packs) is how the rating is written on the packs, it can be misleading. My Turnigy packs are labeled 30-45C discharge rate. This means they are a 30C rated pack with a 45C burst rating. It is not a 45C pack. I have seen several at my field running Turnigy packs based on the higher number and they come down so puffy and hot you couldn't hold them to get them out of the plane (this also comes back to the overrated thing).
     
  2. orthobird

    orthobird 150cc

    hello Battery gurus!! Quick question?
    let's say i have a 5000 Mah 2S battery
    I want to charge it at a 1 amp rate, not 1c.
    what should i program the discharge rate to be on the charger when i balance charge?
    2 amps?, 1 amp? or 0.5 amps?
     
  3. bigblueswope

    bigblueswope 100cc

    936
    721
    113
    Discharge rate is independent from charge rate. I amp will be fine. Any rate less than the Capacity X C Rating will do.


    BJ Swope
     
  4. Krzy4RC

    Krzy4RC GSN Contributor

    Cam, what charger are you using?
     
  5. orthobird

    orthobird 150cc

    Thank you both very much for replying.
    I am using a Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger.
     
  6. Krzy4RC

    Krzy4RC GSN Contributor

    You don't have to set the balance current when charging, just your charge rate. I charge just about all my lipos at 2c. You can discharge your batts at whatever the charger will handle, which usually is not much.
     
    orthobird likes this.
  7. orthobird

    orthobird 150cc

    2C!! Wow!
    ok, my 5000 mAh batteries can be charged at 10 amp rate?
     
  8. Bartman

    Bartman Defender of the Noob!

    yes, a 10 amp total rate (not per cell) would be a 2C charge rate for a 5000 mah pack

    Max charge rate should be designated on your pack and keep in mind that rates of 1C or less are desirable for extending pack health. In other words, if you're not pressed for time then charge at 1C or less.
     
  9. Bartman

    Bartman Defender of the Noob!

    charging a 5000 mah (or 5 amp-hour) pack at 1 amp is a .2C charge rate.

    charging at 1C is supposed to yield a full charge in one hour which might work if you ever had to put all of the mah back into a pack. but since we typically discharge to 20%-of-capacity remaining we only have to replace 80% when charging. so if you're discharging to 20% remaining then a 1C charge rate will take about 48 minutes to complete and a .2C rate will take 5 times that or 240 minutes (4 hours!). chances are your charger will auto shut-off well before the batteries are fully charged so you might want to use a faster rate.

    give it a try and let us know how it works for you!
     
    CatalinaWOW likes this.
  10. I charge my lipos at half their max charge rating. Most of them are rated at 5C, which which for a 5000 mah pack is 25A, so I usually keep it at 12A on the big batteries.
     
Loading...

Share This Page