• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Servos, Which one and why, Competition or Weekend Warrior.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
What I would like to know is which servo manufacturers get their components from which supplier. And how said servos are produced.
All the quality servos I have used (Futaba, Blue Bird, Hi-Tec, MKS) where mostly made in Taiwan except the MKS which I believe where made in Scandinavia??? I know China produces higher quality servos now but a lot of name brand manufacturers like Futaba and Hi-Tec have long used China based facilities to produce "middle of the road" models. I have felt if the servos use quality components such as Japan brushless or coreless motors, quality SMT and chip sets, Strong metal gear trains and rugged standard size cases then it really is a matter of price point and not "my Dads servo will kick your Dads servo ass" . In addition, when leading manufacturers, making their top models "brand specific" and then ask inflated pricing is a strong indicator that there are other choices out there for "same performance" half the cost. Programmable or S-BUS type servos are also now being produced by other brands such as Blue Bird.
BG-0927WV.png

Not eating a spam sandwich here. Just pointing it out.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Considering how conservatively they are rated, I'd say they are worth EVERY penny!

Someone on another forum tested the 9370 (which is rated at 347oz of torque) on 8v and it kicked out a staggering 450oz peak! Averages from his test were 430oz. That's impressive. Ontop of that, the holding power of a brushless servo is above and beyond what a standard digital servo is.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
What I would like to know is which servo manufacturers get their components from which supplier. And how said servos are produced.
All the quality servos I have used (Futaba, Blue Bird, Hi-Tec, MKS) where mostly made in Taiwan except the MKS which I believe where made in Scandinavia??? I know China produces higher quality servos now but a lot of name brand manufacturers like Futaba and Hi-Tec have long used China based facilities to produce "middle of the road" models. I have felt if the servos use quality components such as Japan brushless or coreless motors, quality SMT and chip sets, Strong metal gear trains and rugged standard size cases then it really is a matter of price point and not "my Dads servo will kick your Dads servo ass" . In addition, when leading manufacturers, making their top models "brand specific" and then ask inflated pricing is a strong indicator that there are other choices out there for "same performance" half the cost. Programmable or S-BUS type servos are also now being produced by other brands such as Blue Bird.
View attachment 13379

Not eating a spam sandwich here. Just pointing it out.

Hitecs products are manufactured in Korea. Our brushless line of servos use NEU motors inside of them.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Hitecs products are manufactured in Korea. Our brushless line of servos use NEU motors inside of them.

Now that is info worthy of sharing! Thanks ! NEU motors are EXPENSIVE but are State of the Art! Wait till someone starts using Plettenberg! lol

Bipeguy03

150cc
Well, I'm a little late to the discussion so howdy everybody!! Lol

Anyway, being an Airtronics fan boy (see the thread I started in the radio forum) I have 3 go to servos.

For any thing that I just bang around I get 94851's. They have 200 oz/in and .19 60 degree time

For smaller serious birds I go 94770's they are coreless motors 150 oz/in and .09 60 Degree time

And for my serious stuff its the 94780's. 423 oz/in and .15 60 degree time.

But I'm the oddball and use the stuff with blue wires ;) lol