• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sealing hinge gaps

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
With the servos used today and many people understand servo geometry better, flutter is pretty rare. There is quite a difference as a fair amount of air gets squeezed through those cracks so the plane does actually fly better. I'm hit and miss myself, some planes I seal, others I don't worry about.....bostly because the gain is minimal, and the risk is extremely minimal but it's never a bad idea.
Same here..
Some I seal, some I don't.. I've never noticed any difference in the ones sealed vs the ones that were not.

Interesting subject. I purchased a number of Giant Scale ARF's from one manufacturer (distributor) who always emphasized sealing the hinge gap in their manuals.
I had occasion to talk with one of their designers at the first Don Lowe Masters. He was an invitational pilot competing at the event.
I ask him if the hinge gaps were sealed on his plane (which was right there beside him) and he replied No.
I didn't press the issue but I deduced from that experience that, sealing the hinge gap, perhaps had more to do with improperly hinged control surfaces (these were not "Quick Build" ARF's with the hinges already installed) with wide gaps and the use of underpowered servos. Either of these issues could easily cause "Flutter" resulting in catastrophic failure.
When Giant Scale ARF's were first introduced, there were more than a few people taking the servos out of their trainers and putting them in 33% ARF's.
Some of the first Giant Scale ARF's had only one servo on each aileron.
In some cases, you may find wider hinge gaps on planes that are being set up for 3D in order to allow for more "throw". You're also more likely to get greater what I will describe as "disadvantaged servo arm to control horn" geometry which may cause flutter depending on a number of factors.
Just food for thought.