• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Precision Flight Tutorials Episode 4!

Hello everyone!

I'm a day late on this, but with all the crazyness (Is that a word?) that's been going on, I found myself short on time yesterday. It's here now though!

So today I will discuss spins. Like Snaps, I don't have a whole lot to say about spins.

Spins are widely used in IMAC and F3A and are for sure a maneuver you will want to master. While being fairly basic, spins are usually high in "K Factor" or score. Mastering this maneuver will help with scores in competition.

There are two types of spins. Negative spins when the airplane is inverted and Positive spins when the airplane is upright. Spins can rotate in either direction. Mastering the spin will take time and a keen eye. A proper spin should include: 1. The aircraft coming to a complete stop and fully stalling the wing. 2. A clean entry into the rotation (no flopping or flipping) 3. A consistent rotation speed 4. A "coning" motion of the tail. and 5. Coming to a full stop with the correct amount of rotation. I will go ahead and briefly cover these elements.

1. Before entering to "final leg" before the spin, make sure the airplane is moving at a rate of speed to be able to stop where you want the spin to be initiated. Manage your throttle up until the stall it's self. This will change with wind conditions, but you will become used to the throttle management quickly. Bring the airplane to a full stop using a minute amount of elevator to keep the nose of the aircraft slightly angled upward. Be careful not to use too much or too little elevator. This will take tuning of the elevator throw and CG to make perfect.

2. Once the airplane has completely stalled either let the wing that wants to fall first drop, or nudge the rudder slightly to augment the direction of the spin in your favor. Let the nose of the airplane fall BELOW the imaginary "horizon" then add your input for the spin it's self. Do not force the airplane into the spin, or you could cause it to flip and ruin the spin.

3. Be sure to keep the rotation speed of the spin consistent. Do not reduce or add aileron or rudder during the spin. If the spin slows or speeds up during the process, it could be downgraded.

4. Once the airplane has stalled and the rotation has begun, the tail should rotate around in a circle or "coning" motion. If the tail does not cone, then it means the spin has not been properly done. Play around with elevator throws until this is achieved.

5. Once you have completed the correct amount of rotations for your specific spins, let off all of the control surfaces and bring the rotation to a complete stop. You will most likely have to add opposite aileron, elevator and rudder to stop the airplane on the correct track. Never stop the rotation before your stopping point, then finish with aileron, this is incorrect and WILL result in a down grade. Spin 'till the end.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me and I will help in any way I possibly can!

Thanks
Brian

[video=youtube;xLrtBLklLXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLrtBLklLXk[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: