• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PowerHD Storm 4 HV BRUSHLESS servo from Redwing!!!

Jeremy, I was looking at the specs. on the Storm series but didn't see any mention of startup characteristics. Does the Storm servo have soft start, or does the servo arm immediately "snap" to center when powered on?

Jeremy, I was looking at the specs. on the Storm series but didn't see any mention of startup characteristics. Does the Storm servo have soft start, or does the servo arm immediately "snap" to center when powered on?

You know what, that's a good question. I don't know. When I did my tests I had the servo powered before I put the arm on then never really moved it off center. Then I had it centered when I mounted it in the plane and since its on the rudder (which is usually centered when I power up the plane) I don't notice it snap to center. So I just haven't noticed anything regarding that.

I'm on duty until thursday, but when I get home I'll move it off center and then fire it up and see what she does.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Sorry I forgot to let you know about the start up when I got home. It does not have a soft start. It snaps to center when powered up.

Thanks for the test info. J. Hope you get a chance to fly the servo a lot this summer for a good wringing out:)

Hey y'all! I know it's been a long time, but this was a busy fire season out here on the west coast. Anyway, I wanted to give an update on the servo. I've been able to get quite a few flights on it now and there really isn't much to say except it's been great. No problems and operation is still smooth quiet and predictable. As I've said before I'm not a super awesome 3D pilot so I wasn't totally expecting to be able to feel a difference in flight. HOWEVER, it may be in my head but I really do think it has actually helped in maneuvers that use a lot of rudder. My hovers seem to be a little more stable and knife edge flight is smoother and more precise. I had planned on doing a flight video review but I just haven't had anyone to video for me. I fly whenever I get a chance and because of my schedule I'm usually at the field by myself. Not a big deal though because nobody really wants to watch me fly anyway haha! Not very entertaining.

So my impressions after a few months with this servo are the same as my initial impression. I highly recommend trying them out! My next plane will undoubtedly have a Storm on all the surfaces!

Jeremy

Basically saying what I've written above...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxyhPbPRA_E

Last edited by a moderator: